Which Bible Translation Do You Prefer?

Discussion in 'Questions about Anglicanism' started by coton boy, Aug 11, 2015.

1. Shane R

Shane R Active Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Lowly Layman likes this.
  2. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

N Ireland
    Religion:
    Traditional RomanCatholic
    When I was a seminarian I had the privilege of living wiTh the priest who masterminded the first Gaelige (Irish) translation of the Holy Bible

Cameron and Anglican04 like this.
  3. billn59

billn59 New Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I use the KJV for all church service readings. I like the RSV for for study.

4. Anglican04

Anglican04 Member Anglican

Very cool! Are you a member of clergy?

5. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

N Ireland
    Religion:
    Traditional RomanCatholic
    No , friend. I was a seminarian for three years but left because I wanted a family

Anglican04 likes this.
  6. Laura S.

Laura S. New Member

United States
    I use many translations KJV, NKJV, ESV, NIV, and a friend recently gave me an extra copy of her NLT. While I enjoy using the different translations during my personal Bible study and devotional time I prefer the KJV for use during worship services as I guess I am a traditionalist, so to speak.

Lowly Layman likes this.
  7. Laura S.

Laura S. New Member

United States
    That is interesting. I love listening to music in traditional Irish Gaelic as well as Latin. These ancient languages are so beautiful when you hear them sung.

8. DouayJamesGeneva

DouayJamesGeneva Member

USA
    Religion:
    Protestant
    We have a Dollar Tree here. and I know exactly what you're talking about. Despite the cheap cardboard bindings, newspaper pages, and horribly small print, I picked up one of the full-length ones as well as a pocket New Testament simply to revel in the fact that someone can have the bible for a mere dollar. In many countries, that's impossible, and I wanted to partake of this blessing, because it may not always be possible to have the bible for a buck.

9. Laura S.

Laura S. New Member

United States
    That is interesting. I love listening to music in traditional Irish Gaelic as well as Latin. These ancient languages are so beautiful when you hear them sung.

10. Cameron

Cameron Member

Newfoundland
    Religion:
    Catholic
    We have a few shops around here that collects people’s old bibles and places them on a lectern by their door, with a sign “take one for yourself or another.” It’s really a nice idea because often times you find leather bound volumes for free, and it gives those who cannot afford a copy of the scriptures, an opportunity to own a luxury Bible.

11. DouayJamesGeneva

DouayJamesGeneva Member

USA
    Religion:
    Protestant
    Our Salvation Army stores let you occassionaly take home a bible for free at their store. You don't find 'outdated' translations like the Douay-Rheims, or the American Standard Version in the wild very often, and those are always a pleasure to discover. I may have seen Douay at least once, which if I recall, left me puzzled, because at the time, I had never heard of it. I was fortunate enough to get a free hardbound copy of the Knox translation from a local bookstore that was closing and left some of their inventory out in front, free for the taking. That one is special, because it had been out of print for years and secondhand copies were becoming pricey. It was reprinted recently by Baronius press, but in an expensive $60 leatherbound volume.

Cameron and Shane R like this.
  12. Shane R

Shane R Active Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I found a first printing (1971) of the complete NASB at a thrift store for 50 cents a couple of years ago. It is a large Bible with genuine leather covers and on the blank pages at the back were some sermon outlines and Bible class notes from a previous owner -a dispensationalist of some stripe.

Cameron likes this.
  13. Cameron

Cameron Member

Newfoundland
    Religion:
    Catholic
    I got my Douai-Rheims from TAN publications. I was given a sum of money as a bonus one time and decided to give in a buy a nice DR bible. It was worth the money. I also got a Wycliffe translation with the sum, and I love both of them.

Laura S. likes this.
  14. Cameron

Cameron Member

Newfoundland
    Religion:
    Catholic
    The NASB is a good translation as well - I've only ever received a copy of it from the Gideon's that used to go school-to-school. When I was younger, they visited my classroom and gave me a NT, whereas I wanted the full thing, fussy as I was. They gave me the NASB.

15. DouayJamesGeneva

DouayJamesGeneva Member

USA
    Religion:
    Protestant
    I thought Catholics hated Wycliffe. :laugh:

My dad loved the NASB and owns most of the beat-up, paperback copies we have around the house, but I have yet to get a full-sized hardbound copy to go with the rest of my bible collection on my personal shelf. :cheers:

16. Laura S.

Laura S. New Member

United States
    I am very happy you are teaching your nephew to love and appreciate God's Word at such a young age. May he continue studying and memorizing the Scriptures throughout his life.

17. Laura S.

Laura S. New Member

United States
    I have the Archaeology Study Bible and it is excellent. Lot's of pictures and maps of actual sites in the Holy Land it really helps me visualize the locations of the places I am reading and how they look or must have looked in Biblical times.

18. Tuxedo America

Tuxedo America Member

United States
    Religion:
    Latin Rite Catholic
    I borrowed one from my parish library a few weeks ago. It's very nice, but I'll have to remember to open it up to the same passage as a few other translations to find my preference.

Not many footnotes, I noticed- but those get in the way sometimes, anyway. The ones I've seen are very useful, though.

Aidan likes this.