What is the future of the Episcopal Church?

Discussion in 'Navigating Through Church Life' started by anglican74, Apr 30, 2015.

1. anglican74

anglican74 Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    I have been following some developments from the Episcopal Church that were unsettling to say the least. There is also increasingly more and more chatter about alternative (and orthodox) Anglican jurisdictions. However I have known many faithful priests who stay within the Episcopal Church and attempt to weather the storm so it would be a bloody shame to abandon them to the wolves at the National level. What are everyone's thoughts on the near short-term future for the EC and the orthodox faithful within her walls?

2. Mark

Mark Well-Known Member Anglican

United States
    Religion:
    Happy Anglican
    depends on the new PB to be elected this summer.

As to why some stay and other do not? That is up to the individual priest. For a litany of reasons I could never join the TEC.

Also, the wolves are not just at the national level. Far too many Bishops are wolves destroying their flocks.

While I have little hope for the TEC as a whole turning back to God, again I will wait until the new PD is elected. Then we will know.

3. Justin Haskins

Justin Haskins Active Member

United States of America
    Religion:
    Christian
    I too am waiting to see what happens this summer. It's going to be a huge deal. I don't think many orthodox Anglicans will weather another storm like Schori.

4. Cranmer's Crosier

Cranmer's Crosier Member Anglican

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Does anyone know the candidates? I saw the list at Stand Firm, but I don't know where any of them stand on the issues of the day.

5. anglican74

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    I second that. What do we know about them?

6. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

As an Episcopalian, I have been heart broken over this past decade's experiences for the TEC. As a practical matter unless the new leadership able to stop it from hemorrhaging members, I think youll see an eventual merger of the TEC with other mainline protestant churches like the ELCA, PCUSA, UCC and the like. Bringing the numbers up on paper is the only way keep relevant. And since none of these denominations is doing much to grow their numbers, the only option for the churches is to congele there numbers. I think with that the last vestiges of the TEC's historic Anglican heritage will disappear into an amorphous progressive liberal movement that is lurching inevitably down the road of Unitarian-Universalism.

7. zimkhitha

zimkhitha Active Member

Religion:
    Anglican
    I'm not Episcopalian but we are seeing "alternative" communions making their way to some of the parishes here in South Africa e.g Anglican Catholic. Part of me do find their reasons to be compelling but I have this natural aversion to division. I also ask myself several times why so many communions springing up? Why not some huge alternative communion to Canterbury? Are we still going to see more divisions from the divisions?

8. Mark

Mark Well-Known Member Anglican

United States
    Religion:
    Happy Anglican
    So many division due to our sin. Pride is another. Some of the more orthodox groups will not join anything, the ACNA to be exact, due to the so called
    women's ordination.

The problem is once you divide, it get easier to divide again and again and again. Sadly, in the States, many of the continuing Churches have developed a bunker mentality. They know what they are against and they are use to opposing each other. Though we are starting to see an awaking by the Holy Spirit in some of the Bishops. The Archbishop of the APA is moving toward the ACNA, but through the Reformed Episcopal Church which is a founding member of the ACNA. Even the Anglican Catholic Church appears to be shaking cobwebs away. Their ArchBishop was at the investure of Arch Bishop Foley of the ACNA and he will be at a conference in Forth Worth in July with many different Anglican groups. He is a preacher for Evening Prayer. A couple of years ago that would be unheard of in the continuing church.

As for the TEC, sadly I think it will continue down the wide path to destruction. After reading about the men nominated for the PB post and their decision to continue current policies in the TEC, I do not think we will see a turn around. There will always be faithful christians in the TEC, but the Bishops and too many priests bend the knee to Molech.

9. anglican74

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    I thought that was exactly what we've seen around there world over the last 5 years?

@Mark that was an amazing post, thank you! Divisions are of the devil, as are sin, and heresies.

Lowly Layman likes this.
  10. Lowly Layman

https://americananglican.org/current-news/church-grows/

Rev. Canon Phil Ashey of the AAC wrote an instructive blog post on the growing disconnect between the Church and Society.

"In North America, it is socially, politically, and economically dangerous to be a member of a Christian church today that takes unpopular but biblical stands. It will become even more uncomfortable in the days ahead."

There are indeed uncomfortable times ahead, but also times of great opportunity for grace. No longer can people be casually Christian or fairweather faithful. One's commitment to Christ will cost. Jesus promised us these days were coming, let us hope and trust for the promised reward for those who will stand firm.

anglican74 likes this.
  11. Celtic1

Celtic1 Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Celtic Christian
    I wouldn't say all divisions are of the devil. Sometimes the sin lies with those who refuse to separate from apostasy.

Lowly Layman likes this.
  12. Celtic1

USA
    Religion:
    Celtic Christian
    Yes, I read that -- good article. I am a member of the AAC, and I get their newsletters.

Lowly Layman likes this.
  13. Lowly Layman

anglican74 likes this.
  14. anglican74

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    These are excellent articles. Do you think that some in the Episcopal Church are starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel?

Even when the blame lies with those who performed the action, they are still the children and sons of Satan, as we read in Genesis 3.

15. Celtic1

USA
    Religion:
    Celtic Christian

So, you're saying you believe that those who separate from apostasy are the children and sons of Satan? I just wanted to be clear about it before I say anything further.

16. anglican74

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    I suppose that would depend on your definition of apostasy, and whether it was one of the grave sins described in Scripture or not.

17. Lowly Layman

I think because you made the claim Anglican74, it depends on your definition, not Celtic1's. Kindly unpack what you meant. I feel I might be missing your intended message.what does Genesis 3 have to say?

18. anglican74

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    Genesis 3:15, the protoevangelium, where God says to Satan:

"I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed;"

Not only are there successors who are children of Eve, but others who are successors and children of Satan.

19. zimkhitha

zimkhitha Active Member

Religion:
    Anglican
    Since my post above, I've grown to be sympathetic towards the continuing churches (would even consider going that route if it was feasible). Anglicanism will continue dividing and splitting because there are no measures in place to expel our immoral brothers (using St.Paul's words) from the communion

20. Servos

Servos Active Member

Serbia
    Religion:
    Church of Serbia
    What is PB?