What is the Anglican view of the Creeds?

Discussion in 'Theology and Doctrine' started by Lowly Layman, Jan 18, 2013.

1. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

Article 8 affrims the authority of the Creeds. What is the Anglican vision of the creeds?

I read an enjoyable article on the very subject from The North American Anglican entitled "The 39 Article Project - Article 8" by Fr. Sean Templeton. In it he made a very telling statement concerning the Early Church's resort to an Ecumenical Creed outside of Holy Scripture in order to clarify the orthodox Christian faith, which he says shaped the Church's understanding of itself ever since:

Does the presence of the Creeds imply that Holy Scripture simply isn't enough? If so, then how can Creedal Christians completely embrace the concept of Sola Scriptura?

highchurchman likes this.
  2. Old Christendom

Old Christendom Well-Known Member

Religion:
    Reformed
    Sola Scriptura must be understood in its proper context. It means that the Holy Scriptures, being the only infallibe source of religious truth, are the rule of faith of the Church against which every thing must be tested. Creeds, confessions, formularies, liturgies, etc., which are indeed profitable to edification of the Christian people and to the protection of orthodox belief, having been used since the Apostolic age, must nevertheless conform to scriptural truths. This is to avoid the error that ecclesiastical traditions contain truths of faith not to be found or supported by the scriptures.

3. CatholicAnglican

CatholicAnglican Active Member

Canada
    Religion:
    Traditional Catholic
    The Nicene Creed with removal of the Filioque

The Nicene Creed

I BELIEVE in one God the Father Almighty, Maker of heaven and earth, And of all things visible and invisible:
    And in one Lord Jesus Christ, the only-begotten son of God, Begotten of His Father before all worlds, God of God, Light of Light, Very God of very God, Begotten, not made, Being of one substance with the Father, By whom all things were made: Who for us men, and for our salvation came down from heaven, And was incarnate by the Holy Ghost of the Virgin Mary, And was made man, And was crucified also for us under Pontius Pilate. He suffered and was buried, And the third day he rose again according to the Scriptures, And ascended into heaven, And sitteth on the right hand of the Father. And he shall come again with glory to judge both the quick and the dead: Whose kingdom shall have no end.
    And I believe in the Holy Ghost, The Lord and giver of life, Who proceedeth from the Father, Who with the Father and the Son together is worshipped and glorified, Who spake by the Prophets. And I believe One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church. I acknowledge one Baptism for the remission of sins. And I look for the + Resurrection of the dead, And the life of the world to come. Amen.

Lowly Layman likes this.