For Episcopalians is being "inclusive" a real doctrine for them?

Discussion in 'Theology and Doctrine' started by Peteprint, Mar 26, 2014.

1. highchurchman

highchurchman Well-Known Member Anglican

Britain
    Religion:
    Anglican/Catholic
    The comment I made above simply isn't satisfactory and is misleading to say the least! We simply held to the Catholic Faith as held over two thousand years in Britain. The Anglican Communion is like the Curate's Egg, good in Parts. It most certainly plays fast and loose with the faith. We stayed where we were, it was,in my opinion the Anglican Communion who faltered not the ACC.

2. Spherelink

Spherelink Active Member

Religion:
    Unhinged SC Anglican
    That's not what you said earlier:

3. highchurchman

highchurchman Well-Known Member Anglican

Britain
    Religion:
    Anglican/Catholic
    Fancy that? What criteria do you use?
    I must say that I'm not surprised at your attitude and I have to confess my lack of shock. Luckily it isn't your good self I have to convince of my beliefs.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2014
  4. seagull

seagull Active Member

England
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Well, it seems that the answer to my question was "yes". Of course you could have remained an Anglican and taught what you see as the Catholic Faith. Our Vicar does.

5. seagull

seagull Active Member

England
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I'm talking about members of these breakaway groups. They remain Anglican, even though their churches have left our communion.

6. seagull

seagull Active Member

England
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I imagine that the above is addressed to me, but I'm not sure in response to what point.

7. Spherelink

Spherelink Active Member

Religion:
    Unhinged SC Anglican
    There is still a tinge of exclusivism in your language of leaving, joining and membership. A truly inclusive person would seek to erase boundaries. Will you seek to erase boundaries?

8. seagull

seagull Active Member

England
    Religion:
    Anglican
    As far as I know, there are no breakaway Anglican groups where I live, and I don't know any members of them. So it's a bit difficult for me to "erase boundaries".

9. Spherelink

Spherelink Active Member

Religion:
    Unhinged SC Anglican
    That's why I've been speaking about petitioning the Archbishop and the church hierarchy.
    ;)

10. seagull

seagull Active Member

England
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Most Rev and Rt Hon Dr Justin Welby,
    Archbishop of Canterbury,
    Lambeth Palace,
    LONDON SE1 7JU

Your Grace,

It has come to my attention that there are various breakaway Anglican churches, mainly in the USA. In the interests of church unity, please consider inviting their bishops to the next Lambeth Conference.

Yours sincerely,

C Gull

11. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

is the good archbishop a frequenter of the forums??

12. Spherelink

Spherelink Active Member

Religion:
    Unhinged SC Anglican
    Was that letter physically sent out seagull? Are you intending it to be a public statement, to which you'll mail him the url link?

Give us the full fruit of your inclusivity!

13. seagull

seagull Active Member

England
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I haven't sent it yet. Would you like me too? It seems a well honed letter, doesn't it? Short, pithy and to the point.;)

Spherelink likes this.
  14. seagull

seagull Active Member

England
    Religion:
    Anglican
    If he is he is well disguised. I suspect not in the persona of you, Spherelink or H/Churchman. Or me.

15. Spherelink

Spherelink Active Member

Religion:
    Unhinged SC Anglican
    It's not a matter of me liking you to; I'd assume you'd want to spread the message of inclusivity yourself, no?

I do like it quite a bit. Now that you wrote it, do you pledge never to use the language of exclusivity, words like "splinter groups," or "schism," or scare quotes around non-Canterbury-connected 'anglicans?' Is everyone included and loved as one by you? Note that I will continue using the language of exclusivity, seeing as I believe in being exclusive.

16. seagull

seagull Active Member

England
    Religion:
    Anglican
    i) I now talk about breakaways rather than splinters. I can't remember using the word schism.

ii) I am supposed to love my neighbour (though not necessarily her Church)

iii) Yes, I know you exclude gays, divorcees, adulterers and fornicators. Perhaps you can add some others?

17. Spherelink

Spherelink Active Member

Religion:
    Unhinged SC Anglican
    Distinction without a difference.

So you don't love everything about them? Still some of that excusivism left, for you to exorcise.

I will add whatever Scripture tells me to add. Can't you get it in your head that Christianity and faith are not subjective color preferences we pick based on our whim? It is the law of God for Man to kneel, bow down and submit to.

18. seagull

seagull Active Member

England
    Religion:
    Anglican
    i) Mere fact. These churches have chosen to break away from the mainstream. Well, haven't they?

ii) No. Of course not.

iii) I don't know if you go to church but a sinner-free one must be very poorly attended.

19. Spherelink

Spherelink Active Member

Religion:
    Unhinged SC Anglican
    "break away" and "mainstream" are still exclusivist words that connote the idea of a proper center and improper fringes. This does not fit with inclusivism.

You mean you exclude some part of them. You don't love everything about your neighbor.

The heathen accepts sins. The Christian repents of them. It's becoming clear to me which one you are for.

20. seagull

seagull Active Member

England
    Religion:
    Anglican

i) These new churches have moved away. That is a fact and there's no need to resort to semantics. Their followers are welcome to (re) join us.

ii) Correct

iii) And it's clear to me as well. The repentant sinner. I'll be repenting at 10:15 tomorrow before taking communion. (I'm also acting as sidesperson then, by the way).

When I say the CofE is inclusive, we do of course have rules. For example, a member of the far right British National Party cannot become a clergywo/man. Nor can someone in a non-celibate same sex relationship. I go along with these strictures. I regard them both as sinners. But I don't think we can exclude them from lay membership.