What does Yahweh mean in the Scriptures?

Discussion in 'Sacred Scripture' started by Achilles Smith, Nov 10, 2017.

1. Achilles Smith

Achilles Smith Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Hi!

I was talking with a JW and debating things that they call us Anglicans "pagan" over like tradition, believing in the communion of Saints (not praying to them, merely believing), and the common Protestant objections. She brought up the name Yahweh and how it is used like 2,000 times in the bible. I actually looked it up and it said that the word Yahweh was used in the Hebrew scriptures, but was replaced by the word Lord. The JW proceeded to talk about how Yahweh is the name of God (they don't believe in the Trinity). I figured it was best to keep my mouth shut because I know nothing about Yahweh. Could someone please give me some info about "Yahweh"? Is Yahweh just another way of saying, Lord?

The Lord be with you :)

2. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

Yaweh is another form of Jehovah which is itself a form of the tetragrammaton, the 4 ltter name used by the Hebrews used for God as he revealed himself to Moses, the great I AM.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
  3. anglican74

anglican74 Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    As my esteemed colleague has just said, that is indeed God's very own actual name, as revealed in the Scriptures and to Moses. However it is blasphemous to utter it, for it would contradict the Commandment, which says, Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain.

It makes sense that your friend would bring up this name, as it the cornerstone of her religion's name ("Jehovah" is an English transliteration of this name). She feels like she's allowed to violate God's Commandments, and to use God's holy name at will, in her religion, booklets, print materials, online text, and it's no wonder that she feels comfortable with bringing it up with you...

With us, the name of God has been translated as "Lord" to avoid blaspheming the Commandments.

That being said, the name of God is one thing, but how many persons exist within God is another point entirely. After all even for the Trinitarians there is one single name, one single word, "God"... and thus the existence of one name denotes the existence of one being, God, YHWH, "I AM", the pillar of existence itself... and this entity has three persons within him, the Father, Son, and the Holy Ghost, as revealed by reason and taught in the Old and New Testament!

4. Achilles Smith

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Thank you, this is very informative. I am curious though, how is it blasphemous for them to say the word in their literature or when praying? Isn't that ok as long as you don't say "Oh my (word)"? Also is the four-letter Name the name of the Holy Trinity?

5. anglican74

anglican74 Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    It all goes back to the holy Commandment. What did God mean when he wrote that we shall not take his name in vain? Certainly it refers to not invoking his actual name in frivolous manner...

Among the Jews even the replacement word, "God," is considered to be blasphemous, and thus they typically spell it as "G-d. "

These are the patterns of reverence that we would do well to hold fast to, in the world which has nothing sacred any longer...

6. PotterMcKinney

PotterMcKinney Active Member Typist Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    PECUSA
    I have to engage with the name YHWH quite a bit because I'm in a biblical Hebrew class, and what I can say is your friend is right, it is a very common thing in the Bible. It doesn't however, contradict the Trinity; it's not like the fact that God has a name is this major bombshell to Christian scholars. I always translate it the traditional way, the LORD (when you see LORD in small capital letters in your Bible, that's a translation of YHWH in order to distinguish it from other titles for God), and when it is read we always read it "Adonai" (which is Hebrew for, you guessed it, lord or The Lord.) I know of Rabbis who will pronounce the name, so the strict refusal to pronounce it at all is traditional but not strictly necessary (as anglican74 rightly points out, it's best not to do it than risk making the name mundane, but don't imagine yourself lost if you say it) though as long as it is never done wantonly than it is probably fine.

Scrutinizer and Achilles Smith like this.
  7. Lowly Layman

I think God's revelation the name Yaweh--I AM-- to strengthen the case for the Trinity. In the Gospel of John 8:58 it reads: Jesus said to them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I am.” In this simple statement, Christ reveals himself to be more than man but in fact God in the flesh.

8. Achilles Smith

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Thank you both, your answers have given me clarity on this matter. May I ask how you guys got that stripe on your profile that says Anglican? Those look cool lol.

anglican74 likes this.
  9. Lowly Layman