What do Anglicans think about the Rosary?

Discussion in 'Philosophy and Theology' started by ChristusResurrexit, Mar 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChristusResurrexit

ChristusResurrexit Member

USA
    Religion:
    Catholic
    Blessing to you, Nomi Patris, et Fili, et Spiritus Sancti.

How do Anglicans view the Latin rite Catholic Rosary? I just want to hear some opinions, that's all. I am not going to argue over anything. I literally want to hear what you guys think, and maybe I'll comment on what you think, but that is it. I have asked my own Anglican family, I want to see what others think since most of you on here seem to be high church, and my family is defiantly low church!

Last edited: Mar 6, 2015
    Thomas likes this.
  2. Peteprint

Peteprint Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    APA
    Hello CR. I have prayed the Latin rosary at times, as well as my Orthodox prayer rope. I enjoy both, but use them less than my prayer books, of which I have several. I think the rosary and prayer ropes are aids to contemplation, whereas with the prayer books I can choose specific prayers that I would like to pray at the time.

3. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    American Anglican
  4. Anne

Anne Active Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglo-Catholic
    In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti.

Yes, I've prayed the Latin Rosary with friends many times. In my personal practice I keep a rope in my pocket. Tis very helpful. But I spend far more time in my prayer books.

5. ChristusResurrexit

USA
    Religion:
    Catholic
    Cool. Yeah, Eastern rite Catholics pray the prayer rope and so do Eastern Orthodox. We Latin Catholics pray the Rosary. Do you pray the Hail Mary or do you replace it with something else? I've heard some Anglicans replace it with the Jesus prayer.

6. Peteprint

USA
    Religion:
    APA
    I say the "Hail Mary" when using my rosary. In my Orthodox prayer books the difference in the prayer from the West is:

"Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee. Blessed art thou among women and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, for you have born the savior of our souls."

zimkhitha and Anne like this.
  7. ChristusResurrexit

USA
    Religion:
    Catholic
    Yes, I know the eastern Hail Mary is different from the western. That is interesting. Do you have a particular devotion to Our Lady? I know you're not Catholic and everything, but if you have not already, you should look into the Our Lady of Fatima apparitions. The Blessed Mother had many things to tell us in her apparitions at Fatima.

8. Peteprint

USA
    Religion:
    APA
    I do consider myself Catholic, just not Roman Catholic. I came to Anglicanism from Orthodoxy. As for Fatima, I personally reject the Marian apparitions of the last couple of hundred years. Not attacking you or RC's who do accept them, and the Roman Catholic Church says a person can be a Catholic and reject them as well. I pray to the Theotokos and ask for her intercession daily.

Anne likes this.
  9. highchurchman

highchurchman Well-Known Member Anglican

Britain
    Religion:
    Anglican/Catholic
    Dear Friend,
    You don't want to start a debate?, Good! But you talk about things that are highly debateable ? Anglicans as Catholics hold the 'Theotokos ' as the Mother of God! An acceptance that follows from our two thousand year old belief in the Catholic 'Rule of Faith.' we also hold her as 'All Holy ,Immaculate and Ever Virgin'! This is because the Councils, or at least three of them defined her so! Not by adding to the faith as Rome did in the instance of the Immaculate Conception, but simply by testifying to our scriptural understand of the ancient teaching. Your insistence on being ,'Catholic,' is interesting, however, everyone who is baptised by water and by word becomes a catholic it is the entry to the Universal Church, providing they've been taught properly, the intriguing thing is that if they have been taught by the aforesaid ,Rule of Faith, ' they should be better catholics that you or I!

10. ChristusResurrexit

USA
    Religion:
    Catholic
    You're the one starting the debates now! I truly don't want to start a stupid debate again. It's annoying me. Most of the debates I have apparently started... I didn't even mean to start.

Your conception of who is Catholic only comes out of the Protestant reformation.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2015
  11. Anne

Anne Active Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglo-Catholic
    CR you insist on talking about things that are "highly debatable" to use highchurchman's description. That's inviting debate ;) And, I agree, it's annoying ;)

12. Ide

Ide Active Member

United States
    Religion:
    Christian
    I recently purchased an "Anglican" style rosary and have found it very helpful. It allows me to recite the prayers through bypassing my active mind; it just becomes natural and contemplative. I also like using the prayer books and guides as they give a different "feel" for the prayer, but when I want to switch off the mental chatter, I find the rosary to be helpful.

I don't use the traditional RC forumla or anything Marian inspired. I have complied a few personal rosary sets based on prayers I like. I have no claims to their tradition or orthodoxy! Here is one taken from a few different sources:

The Cross

Blessed be the one, holy and living God. Glory to God forever and ever. Amen.

The Invitatory

Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be thy Name. Thy kingdom come, thy will be done, on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. For thine is the kingdom, and the power and the glory, forever and ever. Amen.

The Cruciforms

Holy God, Holy and Mighty, Holy Immortal One, Have mercy upon us.

The Weeks

Keep me, O God. Show me the path of life. With you is fullness of joy.

Thomas and Anne like this.
  13. ChristusResurrexit

USA
    Religion:
    Catholic
    Ugh, whatever... I didn't think this was debatable...

14. coton boy

coton boy New Member

United Kingdom
    Religion:
    Christian
    I pray the (Benedictine) Rosary every day.

15. Gio

Gio Member

Usa
    Religion:
    Anglican catholic
    Hello, I am new hear as well, I consider my self very high church, Anglo catholic, and I pray the Latin rosary, in Latin, I'm not sure the Anglican Church would pray in Latin, but I do, I use prayer candles, and I do other things that are catholic, yet I believe we are saved by faith alone, etc. In reality, All Anglicans are In one way or another the same in faith, it's just that some prefer to worship in traditional fashion, while some take the more evangelical, however the basic tenants of the church are a mixture of both Protestant and catholic, which is basically what the church describes itself as. You can get 5 Anglicans I can can guarantee with near certainty that they won't agree all agree with each other, one might be high church yet not use rosaries etc, the other might be high church and does. One might be low church, but still asks Mary to intercede, and the other low churchman won't, then there might be one that doesn't identify as neither high or low.

16. Gio

Gio Member

Usa
    Religion:
    Anglican catholic
    We all have a Protestant mind, but a different worship method, which is what makes the Anglican Church so unique.

17. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

N Ireland
    Religion:
    Traditional RomanCatholic
    As evidenced on a number of occasions, I dont think ALL Anglicans are of a Protestant mind

Paul Dean likes this.
  18. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

N Ireland
    Religion:
    Traditional RomanCatholic
    "All Holy, Immaculate and Ever Virgin" refers to Our Lady's immaculate conception

19. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member Typist Anglican

We've received a number of complaints, and the thread is locked.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.