What are you giving up for Lent?

Discussion in 'Feasts, Fasts, and Church Calendar' started by Cameron, Feb 7, 2018.

1. Cameron

Cameron Active Member

Newfoundland
    Religion:
    Catholic
    The season is approaching!

Thus, it is time to start discussing our penances. I'm thinking about giving up Starbucks and alcoholic things.
    What about the rest of us?

Stalwart likes this.
  2. DivineOfficeNerd

DivineOfficeNerd Active Member Anglican

United States
    Religion:
    Laudian Anglo-Catholic
    Definitely giving up meat as usual. Coffee and fast food breakfast might also be out.

3. Shane R

Shane R Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Alcohol. I typically follow the discipline of meat-less Friday and so I may add Wednesday in Lent.

I always exhort my congregation to add something to their daily routine for Lent. I doubt most read the Bible with any regularity, especially in a manner that is not purely devotional. I doubt any other than the families of the clergy are using the daily offices. And I always remind them that confession is available.

Cameron likes this.
  4. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

N Ireland
    Religion:
    Traditional RomanCatholic
    IMHO it's better to do something rather than quit something. I'm still working on what though.

Shane R likes this.
  5. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

N Ireland
    Religion:
    Shane, what are the words of absolution?

6. Tuxedo America

Tuxedo America Member

United States
    Religion:
    Latin Rite Catholic
    Probably coffee, since I drink too much of it at school. That also means more money I can give back to the church.

Cameron likes this.
  7. DivineOfficeNerd

DivineOfficeNerd Active Member Anglican

United States
    Religion:
    Laudian Anglo-Catholic
    Traditionally, the Anglican words of absolution used after auricular confession are "Our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath left power to his Church to absolve all sinners who truly repent and believe in him, of his great mercy forgive thee thine offences: And by his authority committed to me, I absolve thee from all thy sins, In the Name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost. Amen."

Liturgyworks and Cameron like this.
  8. ApostolicChristian

ApostolicChristian New Member

England
    Religion:
    RC (Currently)
    I am considering fasting on certain days from when I wake up in the morning till perhaps when I have dinner on the evening and only allow myself water. I haven't decided on which days i'll do it or how many days.

I will be taking up reading more of the bible every day as well as selected slots for prayer time.

I'll also be refraining from engaging with political arguments on social media. This last one really prohibits me from fully living the Christian life so I think I will benefit a lot from this.

Shane R, Aidan and Tuxedo America like this.
  9. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

N Ireland
    Religion:
    similar to the current Novus Ordo formula.

Cameron likes this.
  10. Cameron

Cameron Active Member

Newfoundland
    Religion:
    Catholic
    My grandfather used Latin as often as he could. "Ego te absolve..." he used on occasion, but for the most part, he spoke as DivineOfficeNerd provided, or a variation on it, but never left out the "I absolve."

11. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

N Ireland
    Religion:
    The words "I absolve you" are essential in order for there to be a valid sacrament, in English or Latin

12. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

N Ireland
    Religion:
    Why speak of "auricular" confession? Is there another kind?

13. Shane R

Shane R Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    There is general confession. Even Rome has it in the form of the 'penitential rite' prior to the canon of the Mass.

Liturgyworks likes this.
  14. Cameron

Cameron Active Member

Newfoundland
    Religion:
    Catholic
    Indeed. Auricular is just voice to priest. The Orthodox also have general confession, and it is at the beginning of every Mass since the new Missal, and the general absolution in the BCP and other modern Eucharistic texts.

15. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

Consider God's message through Prophet Isaiah with regard to fasting:

"Is this not the fast that I have chosen: To loose the bonds of wickedness, To undo the heavy burdens, To let the oppressed go free, And that you break every yoke? Is it not to share your bread with the hungry, And that you bring to your house the poor who are cast out; When you see the naked, that you cover him, And not hide yourself from your own flesh?"

16. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

N Ireland
    Religion:
    Oh yes of course. However it's referred to as a penitential service as opposed to general confession. The general confession that you refer to is indeed part of the Mass, whereas the penitential service can be stand alone

17. PotterMcKinney

PotterMcKinney Active Member Typist Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    PECUSA
    I'll be giving up coffee and alcohol in particular, as well as taking up the Daily Office again in full force (I've been slacking, but I've got friends that will do it with me as well!) In general, of course, I'll be abstaining from more general merriment within reason, as well as attempting to renew my quieting spiritual life.

DivineOfficeNerd likes this.
  18. Stalwart

Stalwart Well-Known Member Anglican

America
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I like this discussion. I don't drink much alcohol, but will probably give that up, just to give up something. May need to think of something more substantial to give up though. Already gave up coffee 9 months ago, never felt better. Hrm.

DivineOfficeNerd likes this.
  19. peter

peter Active Member

England
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Giving things up is always hard for me, as a vegetarian, teetotaler, non-smoker who doesn't drink coffee. May have to try fasting again, I used to fast on Fridays which went out the window a few months ago when I started my MSc and needed more energy on days I'm at university. Could try a different day. I'm also going to try to reintroduce a better prayer routine, which I have rather drifted from.

Stalwart likes this.
  20. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

Me too Peter. A vegetarian/vegan, no smokes, no coffee, no cokes. I guess alcohol is all that's left.

peter and Stalwart like this.