What are the essential parts of our faith as practiced in the Anglican tradition

Discussion in 'Theology and Doctrine' started by seeking.IAM, Mar 31, 2012.

1. seeking.IAM

seeking.IAM Member

United States
    Religion:
    Episcopalian
    What are the essential parts of our faith as practiced in the Anglican tradition -- the parts that are so basic we cannot be without them?

As I was reading the thread "Are Bishops Essential," it occurred to me that respondents were focusing on the word "Bishop" more so than the word "essential." Rather that steer that conversation toward thread drift, I thought I would pose the question here. What are the tenets of the faith, or practice in the Anglican tradition, that are truly essential to you?

Here is one:
    "Hear, O Israel, the Lord our God, the Lord is one. Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength. The second is this: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' There is no commandment greater than these." ~Mark 12:29-31 (NIV)

May our discussion be guided by these words, “In essentials, unity; in non-essentials, liberty; in all things, charity.” ~ St. Augustine of Hippo

What do you consider essential to the practice of the Christian faith in the Anglican tradition?

<><

2. Anna Scott

Anna Scott Well-Known Member

seeking.IAM,
    This is certainly an important question at this point in Anglican history, with so many diverse beliefs within Anglicanism.

I agree that our call to love God and our neighbor is certainly one essential.

Also:

The the Gospel of Christ truthfully and faithfully proclaimed according to Holy Scripture expressed in the Nicene Creed.
    The Sacraments, through which Graces are imparted to us through the Holy Trinity.
    The Holy Eucharist as the center of our worship.

I see these as the essential minimum.

Scottish Monk likes this.
  3. Anna Scott

seeking.IAM,

I'm hoping others will contribute. I think this is a very important question.

Peace and blessings,
    Anna

4. Adam Warlock

Adam Warlock Well-Known Member

What an excellent question! Here are my thoughts. In no way is this an exhaustive or complete list (nor is it in order of importance, just the order that comes to mind :D).

1. Love of God and love of neighbor. Our Lord is the center of our lives. We put him above all, and we put others above ourselves. This is what a Gospel life looks like, and it is that for which a faithful Anglican Christian must strive.

2. Nicene Christianity and the teachings of the Ecumenical Councils
    We must be faithful to the teachings of the Nicene Creed. These are truths from Scripture that should be held in common by all Christians. Now I know that not everyone places the same weight on all aspects of all seven Councils, but we should at least be agreed on the Trinitarian and Christological statements that are made. These teachings, along with the Nicene Creed, help us to remain orthodox. Note that I am not saying that all of us must be fully knowledgeable about the canons of all councils. Rather, we must accept that their theological wisdom is biblical and sound (especially when compared with the all-too-common heretical speculations of today).

3. The faithful preaching of the Gospel
    ...both in our pulpits and in our lives!

4. Apostolic Succession
    This is an essential Anglican distinctive, and one that is necessary for...

5. The Celebration of the Eucharist.
    Christ must be the center of our worship. The perpetual celebration of this Sacrament is the most important thing that we can do. It is a hallmark of the Apostolic churches, and it is at the very heart of our faith.

I guess, in a sense, all of these things flow together. We confess to believe Christian truths that are found in the Creed. We study the Scripture and seek to remain orthodox in our understanding of God, man, sin, salvation, Law, Gospel, and the Church. We recognize that there are traditional teachings and historical writings that guide us toward deeper and greater knowledge of God. We also recognize that our bishops are there to shepherd and guide us, in an order that the Church has inherited from the Apostles. These bishops, and the priests that they ordain, are chosen by the Lord to serve, preach, teach, and live faithfully. They offer His Sacraments to the people. We are also to live faithfully, to pray constantly, and to avail ourselves of the preaching of the Word and of the Sacraments.

To me, these are Anglican essentials and distinctives.

Scottish Monk, Jerome and Anna Scott like this.
  5. Anna Scott

y
    Adam,
    Beautiful said! My post now seems incredibly inadequate. lol

Peace and blessings,
    Anna

6. Scottish Monk

Scottish Monk Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian
    I am new at this, but here is my brief list of Anglican essentials.
    • Holy Scriptures of Old and New Testaments
    • Book of Common Prayer
    • Liturgical style of worship
    • Nicene and Apostles' Creeds
    • Sacraments of Baptism and Holy Communion
    • Historic episcopate, continuity of the line of bishops since the time of Christ
    • Pillars of Faith, Reason, and Tradition
    ...Scottish Monk

Lowly Layman, Gordon and Anna Scott like this.
  7. Anna Scott

Hi Scottish Monk,
    Love your post. (Sorry about the like and unlike. I was showing a friend about the like and unlike features.) I do like your post. I agree these are essentials for Anglicanism.

Peace,
    Anna

8. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

The lambeth quadrilateral seems to sum it up prettu well.

seagull likes this.
  9. Peteprint

Peteprint Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    High-Church Laudian
    I am curious as to the place of the BCP in what is essential to Anglicanism. The reason I ask is because there have been so many revisions in the prayer books used in the Communion in the past century. Personally I feel very positive towards the 1928 American BCP but have issues with the English prayer book. Does the BCP have a dogmatic status for any Anglicans?

Lowly Layman likes this.
  10. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

it is one of the formularies of Anglicanism and so i would say it has a high status in the influence of Anglican dogma. It can be (and has been) changed in relatively small ways but should always reflect the Anglican core that is biblical catholicism.

11. Peteprint

Peteprint Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    High-Church Laudian
    Thank you Lowly Layman. As I think I mentioned in one of my earliest postings on the forum, I have a real problem with one of the statements in all the English prayer books in the section on visitation of the sick, where it states as dogmatically as possible that all illness is sent by God. I simply cannot accept that, yet it has been removed from the American 1928 prayer book and is not in the Canadian 1962 prayer book either. It probably is not in the English 1927 book that was accepted by the CofE but rejected by Parliament. That is a very important difference, and really effects the theology of the prayer books. I could see myself as an Anglican using the 1928 or 1962 US and Canadian BCP, but in good conscience could not use the English BCP. Apparently however that is not a problem in the Communion, since these books are accepted as valid expressions of Anglicanism. That is why I wondered about the dogmatic status of what is contained in the various BCP's.