Thoughts on Old Testament Apocrypha

Discussion in 'Sacred Scripture' started by Joshua119, Sep 7, 2015.

1. Joshua119

Joshua119 Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglo-Catholic
    I'm sorry if this topic has been covered before, I searched around the forum but I couldn't find a thread about it anywhere.

I would like to hear some of your opinions on the inclusion of the apocryphal books in the Old Testament. Typically I have always used bibles that had them, either integrated or in a separate section. Unfortunately I have found that, for whatever reason, the quality of bibles with the apocrypha tends to be very poor.

On the other hand, I have seen many impressive bibles that did not contain those books, but I have avoided them.

So what are some of your thoughts? Do they need to be included? Are bibles without them "gutted"?

For the Anglo-Catholics, of which I identify most, can someone practice an Anglo-Catholic style of faith and use a 66 book bible?

Lowly Layman likes this.
  2. Mark

Mark Well-Known Member Anglican

United States
    Religion:
    Happy Anglican
    The Prayer Books use the Apocryphal books in readings especially in Morning and Evening Prayer. The 39 Articles supports their use in instruction, but not in the formation of doctrine.

Up until the late 18th early 19th Century, they were included in all Bibles, even those used by Baptists. Taken out not for religious reasons, but cost of printing.

Can you practice the Anglo-Catholic style and not use them. Yes. But you do take away a trove or treasure that will enhance your understanding of your faith.

Fr. Mark

Joshua119 likes this.
  3. Joshua119

Joshua119 Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglo-Catholic
    Thank you, Fr. Mark. The last few days I have taken to using a typical KJV and separate apocrypha booklet which is working for me so far. I am constantly praying for a decent single volume printing, so far I've wasted a lot of money on printings that I can't stand to use :doh:

Spherelink likes this.
  4. Spherelink

Spherelink Active Member

Religion:
    Unhinged SC Anglican
    Thats dedication my friend!

Lowly Layman likes this.