The Rosary- Prayers and Practice

Discussion in 'Prayers' started by Ide, Aug 13, 2017.

Tags:
  1. AnglicanTex

AnglicanTex Member Anglican

United States of America
    Religion:
    Christianity
    The prayer book! I'll say it again, nice find.

DouayJamesGeneva likes this.
  2. DouayJamesGeneva

DouayJamesGeneva Active Member

USA
    Religion:
    Protestant
    As beautiful as some rosaries are, we should avoid investing too much into them based on aesthetic value rather than function and durability. If not, they begin to be adored and become an idol, lending credence to the accusations some make of them being too much like a relic. The rosary I have is nice looking enough but still relatively plain, and I may have paid about $10 in total. It was a fair value. I've been tempted by a lot of pretty chotkis, and other variations of the rosary, but since simplicity and functionality has always been taught as a focal point of Christian living, I felt it ought to be mentioned. The monks who first invented these rosaries and prayer tools likely had very rugged and ordinary items in their hands. So, we should be careful about what we're looking for, unless it's as a display piece, then it would justify the price for it's aesthetic value a bit more.

JoeLaughon likes this.
  3. DouayJamesGeneva

USA
    Religion:
    Protestant
    I've been mourning my own sinfulness as of late after discovering that salvation only comes through the rosary. All this time I thought I was saved, and then while Googling I found this Rosary Confraternity page, which said:

Now I have been praying the rosary at least 100 times a day, and hopefully will go up to 1000. Without the rosary and proper devotion to it's mysteries, we are doomed to hell.

4. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    American Anglican
    DJG, why do you take this Confraternity as gospel when the Gospel says nary a word about the Rosary or the need to pray it so repetitively? I assume you mean that you will recite the Hail Mary--not the Rosary-- 1000 times a day. The latter would not be possible.

Given that tradition holds that The Blessed Virgin only appeared to St. Dominic and gave him the Rosary in AD 1214, every Christian for the nearly 1200 years prior to that momeng, including the Apostles themselves, who died believing they were bound for glory were actually consigned to hell because they failed to make the requisite recitations. Seems like a hard idea to swallow, and I'm someone who actually recites the Rosary. I'd ask you to pray on it before you go down this path. Salvation comes by grace through faith in Christ, not the Rosary.

5. DouayJamesGeneva

USA
    Religion:
    Protestant
    You missed my sarcasm. It was meant to humor people who share our concerns regarding misuse of the rosary. :clap:

CuriousBeliever likes this.
  6. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    American Anglican
    I guess I did.

7. DouayJamesGeneva

USA
    Religion:
    Protestant