The Practice of Religion

Discussion in 'Pastoral Resources' started by Lowly Layman, Dec 15, 2017.

1. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    American Anglican
    Peteprint and Botolph like this.
  2. anglican74

anglican74 Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    Interesting, this is a new title for me, any particular insights that you may recommend to look out for?

3. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    American Anglican
    The instructions at the beginning, the penitential devotions, and the angelus.

4. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

N Ireland
    Religion:
    Traditional RomanCatholic
    Might not the Angelus be perceived by Anglicans as worshiping The Blessed Mother?

5. Peteprint

Peteprint Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    APA
    I have this work and like it, but I have to admit it is a bit too Anglo-Catholic for my tastes as a High-Church Laudian. Still, a great book.

6. Anglican04

Anglican04 Active Member Anglican

As you know, Anglicans are diverse, so you will probably get around 3 responses. 1. Yes 2. No, and number 3 being "I can really go either way on this issue". Maybe a rare fourth answer, "who is Mary?". I consider myself to be a traditional Anglican, but not full blown Anglo-Catholic. I'm the type of Anglican that is against female ordination, contraception, abortion, gay marriage, and more issues (especially the modern ones) plaguing the beautiful Anglican communion, but I do not believe in praying to any saint, or the Roman definition of purgatory (I will explain what I mean if you ask).

I take the 39 articles seriously and have them set as my guidelines. I do not believe in praying to a saint for many reasons. One of them being because article XXII states the following

"XXII. Of Purgatory.

The Romish Doctrine concerning Purgatory, Pardons, Worshipping and Adoration, as well of Images as of Relics, and also Invocation of Saints, is a fond thing, vainly invented, and grounded upon no warranty of Scripture, but rather repugnant to the Word of God."

I do not believe in invoking saints, or the Angelus. Now let me go deeper into this, I don't really think the Angelus is "worship", but it is rather INVOKING Mary. The problem with invoking saints is that sometimes you really end up using them as a substitute for God, even when you don't realize it (heck, I even did as a Roman Catholic :laugh: ). But since praying/invoking any saint is not mentioned in the Bible (more biblical evidence against saint invocation than supporting the cause), it is not taught by early church fathers (non- traditional), and it is excluded in the 39 articles, I chose not to pray the Angelus or pray to any saint. I use logic and after looking at scripture and tradition to figure out that it is best to avoid invoking any saint. Notice how I used the famous Anglican 3-leg-stool-method.

I certainly do not speak on behalf of all Anglicans, but I can confidently say that most I have met share my point of view on this subject. If you have any questions about my statement, feel free to reply.

Stalwart likes this.
  7. Mark

Mark Well-Known Member Anglican

United States
    Religion:
    Happy Anglican
    Anglican04,

key word being Romish. The Orthodox Churches have devotions etc surrounding the Blessed Virgin Mother, Saints etc. I do believe they get it correct
    more than the Romans and Protestants.

Blessings

Fr. Mark

Lowly Layman likes this.
  8. Anglican04

Anglican04 Active Member Anglican

Ah okay, thanks Father.

9. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

N Ireland
    Religion:
    In your view what's the difference between Roman Catholic and Orthodox attitudes to Our Lady?

10. Peteprint

Peteprint Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    APA
  11. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

N Ireland
    Religion:
    Devotion to the saints is dulia and devotion to Our Lady is hyper dulia