The Church or an ecclesial community

Discussion in 'Navigating Through Church Life' started by CFLawrence, Aug 12, 2018.

1. CFLawrence

CFLawrence Active Member

United States
    Religion:
    Evangelical Episcopalian
    I’ll be direct. And I think all my posts have been leading to this question. Is “Traditional” Anglicanism with the Bible, the 39 Articles and the Homilies, and the 1662 BCP, is all of that The One and Only objective truth? Is the Anglican Church, or the right flavor of Anglicanism, the one true church.

When I was RC I thought I had found the only truth. What I have been reading here has caused me to question everything I have believed for decades.

I do believe that somewhere in Anglicanism lies the one true church, not Rome, not Orthodoxy, the Reformed faith has much much truth but I am coming to believe Anglicanism is “it”

So my question to all of you is... why Anglican? Do you believe your truth is the one and only objective truth? Convince me that if I stay here and listen I will find salvation.

anglican74 likes this.
  2. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member Typist Anglican

Moved from the Doctrinal and to the Personal section of the Forums. Please commence discussing as usual!

3. Botolph

Botolph Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    XIX. OF THE CHURCH
    The visible Church of Christ is a congregation of faithful men, in the which the pure Word of God is preached, and the Sacraments be duly ministered according to Christ's ordinance in all those things that of necessity are requisite to the same.

As the Church of Jerusalem, Alexandria, and Antioch, have erred; so also the Church of Rome hath erred, not only in their living and manner of Ceremonies, but also in matters of Faith.

The term
    the visible Church predicates the notion that there is an invisible Church. The visible Church I guess matches the notion of the ecclesial community. Augustine (of Hippo) spoke of wolves within and sheep outside, which is to suggest that the visible Church may not be a perfect match for the invisible Church.

Whilst the Thirty Nine Articles are critical of the Bishop of Rome and the Church in communion with him, they do so in a way not to remove them from the idea of Church, but rather to suggest that they have erred.

Anglicanism is not perfect, and one of the great strengths of Anglicanism is that it knows that truth. We do seek unity in the essentials and allow some diversity beyond that, however of late we have had some trouble discerning what are the essentials.

When Rome claims to set the line around the Church at her own circumference she misses the truth of Augustine, and appears to define the ontological truth of the Church being limited to communion with the Bishop of Rome. Since Vatican II and certainly under the leadership of Pope Francis there seems to be a wider compass of the vision of the Church being applied.

Philippians 2:12-13
    Therefore, my beloved, just as you have always obeyed me, not only in my presence, but much more now in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling; for it is God who is at work in you, enabling you both to will and to work for his good pleasure.

Anglicanism neither has exclusive possession, nor claims to be the limits to the apprehension, of the truth that is in Christ Jesus. It is a way of being Christian, that for many of us resonates clearly as the way we have come to walk in the way of Jesus.

Almighty God,
    to whom all hearts are open, all desires known,
    and from whom no secrets are hidden.
    Cleanse the thoughts of our hearts
    by the inspiration of your Holy Spirit,
    that we may perfectly love you,
    and worthily magnify you holy Name;
    through Christ our Lord. Amen.

Tiffy, anglican74 and CFLawrence like this.
  4. Peteprint

Peteprint Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    High-Church Laudian
    No Anglican that I am aware of has ever taught that the Anglican Church is the "one, true Church." And you don't have to be Anglican to find salvation. The Caroline Divines of the 17th century believed that the Roman Church was a true Church, albeit one that had embraced some errors. They also believed that the Protestant churches on the continent were true churches as well. Holding to the essentials of the faith is what is important. Anglicanism derives from the historic Church of England; it is not the only valid Church in the world, and no Anglican ever taught that, though many believed that the Church of England was the closest in doctrine and practice to the Apostolic Church.

Tiffy, JoeLaughon and anglican74 like this.
  5. CFLawrence

CFLawrence Active Member

United States
    Religion:
    Evangelical Episcopalian
    @Peteprint ... you have helped me reach the conclusion that yes, the Anglican Church is the closest in doctrine and practice to the apostolic church. I am going to dump all my Roman baggage and fully embrace the 1662BCP, the AV Bible, the 39 Articles and the homilies. These will be the bedrock of my faith.

6. anglican74

anglican74 Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    I concur with @PEterprint... The Anglican Communion doesn't need to claim to be the complete community of Christ's Church, but rather the best branch thereof which most keeps the apostolic faith, and hopes to continually return the other churches (and itself!) back to God and to his Son our Risen Lord, as all churches (and ourselves!!) continually fall away

CFLawrence and Peteprint like this.
  7. JoeLaughon

JoeLaughon Well-Known Member Anglican

United States
    Religion:
    ACNA
    We are a branch of the One, Holy, Apostolic Church. We believe other apostolic churches (ex. Rome, the East) are also a part of the Church but are in error on issues of both practice and doctrine.

Stalwart and Magistos like this.
  8. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
    Rather make Christ Jesus the bedrock of your faith, and attach yourself in company with a church which seems to you to best emulate the way that He behaved, toward both saint and sinner. If that turns out to be the Anglican communion, then that is good for both you and it and Christ.