The Church of England Rejects Same-Sex Blessings

Discussion in 'Anglican and Christian News' started by The Hackney Hub, Apr 9, 2013.

1. The Hackney Hub

The Hackney Hub Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    The Episcopal Church
  2. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

This guy's off to a great start!

Scottish Monk and Stalwart like this.
  3. Stalwart

Stalwart Well-Known Member Anglican

America
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Thanks Hackney, this is great news!

Scottish Monk likes this.
  4. Celtic1

Celtic1 Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Celtic Christian
    Yes, that's great -- but what about this statement, quoted in the article, about the new archbishop?

Despite the church's traditional and unchanging view of marriage as the union of one man and one woman, the new archbishop of Canterbury, Justin Welby, has expressed his admiration from some same-sex relationships.
    "You see gay relationships that are just stunning in the quality of the relationship," he told the BBC on the morning of his enthronement last month, adding that he had "particular friends where I recognise that and am deeply challenged by it."

5. Gordon

Gordon Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Franciscan - Anglican
    Sorry I am not sure what your point is, both my sister and my son are in same sex relationships and love their respective partners very much. That doesn't mean the church should change its view on the the sacrament of Holy Matrimony.

MatthewOlson and Lowly Layman like this.
  6. Jeff F

Jeff F Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Conservative Believer
    As these same sex couples come to the church for traditional marriage blessings, I wonder if they would also expect a ham sandwich to be served at a Jewish deli?

Jeff

seagull and MatthewOlson like this.
  7. Celtic1

Celtic1 Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Celtic Christian
    Seems the archbishop thinks that same-sex relationships are okay.

8. Gordon

Gordon Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Franciscan - Anglican
    I think he recognises that yes they occur and yes they truly love one and other... But he is not saying the church should alter the sacrament of Holy Matrimony to fit in with public opinion.

seagull and Lowly Layman like this.
  9. The Hackney Hub

The Hackney Hub Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    The Episcopal Church
    I think some gay couples have great relationships but that doesn't mean I support same-sex marriage or blessing or anything. Sinful people are capable of genuine concern for each other. I think we should give the Archbishop some slack.

MatthewOlson and Gordon like this.
  10. Jeff F

Jeff F Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Conservative Believer
    I don't envy his struggles as he tries to juggle the responsibilities of Archbishop, while still being a Priest with a Pastor's heart for the hurting. May God guide and strengthen him.

Jeff

Gordon likes this.
  11. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

I think it was St Augustine who recognized that there was indeed love in homosexual couplings, but from the church's perspective that love was "gravely disordered". I have met some same-sex couples whose love and devotion for one another, and in some cases, for the children they are raising, is simply undeniable.I'm glad they are happy and hope the best for them. But, from the standpoint of the church, our Lord's instructions were clear: "For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh?" The church is called to be the faithful witness of holy writ and so we, at least in the church, must honor Our Lord's definition of marriage. Perhaps this looks like a hard teaching from our 21st century eyes, but there are many hard teachings in our faith, that's no reason to abandon that faith once delivered to the saints. After all,where else can we go? Jesus has the words of life.

12. Symphorian

Symphorian Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    Anglican, CofE
  13. Old Christendom

Old Christendom Well-Known Member

Religion:
    Reformed
    The best for people who sadly engage in such perversions is to desist from them immediately and come to God. Unfortunately, those who live as unrepented sodomites, will die as unrepented sodomites. Mutual affection does not do away with the fact that there's a profound disordered behaviour that God hates and will surely punish. It's incredible how western society and the western Church has grown soft over the past few decades on this undeniable moral plague.

And children being raised by homosexual couples is one of the vilest things our society has ever sanctioned.

MatthewOlson likes this.
  14. Lorrie S

Lorrie S Member

USA
    Religion:
    None
    Wow I am very disappointed to read this. I am leaving the Catholic Church for this very reason. Guess I am in the wrong place.

15. historyb

historyb Active Member

USA
    Religion:
    CEC (Anglo-Catholic)
  16. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Member

Perfidious Albion
    Religion:
    Uncertain
    If it is any solace, between the views expressed by most of the people here, and most other Anglicans in the real world, there is a much, much wider variety and disparity.

People here for instance, seem to forget that the CoE has, since 1991, affirmed Same-sex partnerships, ideally celibate (necessarily so for clergy), but has conceded it can be sexually active for the laity and that this is something that should be accepted by the Church.

They also seem not to have noticed that the Pilling Report has now been published, and has included in its recommendations a continuing need to both 'honour and affirm' homosexual laity, single, celibate and partnered, to 'repent' of their past lack of 'welcome and acceptance', questions the continuing division between the clergy and laity on compulsory celibacy, and most controversially, suggests that as a pastoral provision, individual priests in agreement with their Parish Church Council, should be able to bless a same-sex partnership.

That said in true CoE fashion, there was some disagreement over whether such a blessing should include married partners (???) and they felt that although this authorised a change in Church's pastoral practice, the general proclamation of the church should 'uphold traditional teaching'. As if somehow a change in pastoral practice doesn't represent a change in teaching, but there you.

It remains to be seen if the Church decides to take on these recommendations.

17. Lorrie S

Lorrie S Member

USA
    Religion:
    None
    Thanks for explaining that. Sounds like a lot of changes. I appreciate your explanation.

18. Ogygopsis

Ogygopsis Active Member

Even though I think you're trying to be funny, this sort of response illustrates the main problems with some of the reactionary crowd. They want to make Anglicanism exclusive and only for those who are the 'right sort of people'. It is hardly fair to compare a sandwich with personality and orientation, and it displays a deep lack of understanding. Jesus is for everyone, not just whom anyone cares to name because of a human appraisal of their worthiness or their varied beliefs. The comments about proof-texting the bible are also well put on a closed thread about an American diocese.

So in answer to you question, I would say that I expect Jesus at an Anglican church and I do not expect people to be instantly and as harshly rejected as I see some of the posters prepared to do.

I did react to Jeff F, your post, but I am not singling you out among the series of troubling responses. The process among worldwide Anglicans appears to be: proposal for change, which has minority support, then it grows until the change is thoroughly studied and understood. It becomes an influence on subsequent church policy and canons. In my experience, it often takes 10 to 30 years for change. But change will come in some form. Because it always does, and it mustn't be feared. We must always remember that the core of Christianity is Jesus, who did what we recite every week, gave his blood and body for us, so sins may be forgiven. Not so that some who sin may be persecuted, called out, told they are bad and that Jesus is not for them. It is not for humans to judge, it is for humans to minister to one another, and to consider how we are all missing the mark. Homosexuality is certainly not the most grievous of sins; on this I agree with the new RC pope, who singles out greed of late. If only we could devote our energies to that versus this. Holy Spirit come .

Last edited: Jan 18, 2014
  19. highchurchman

highchurchman Well-Known Member Anglican

Britain
    Religion:
    Anglican/Catholic
    All my life I have lived, worked and played with people who I now know to have been Homosexuals. I have never at anytime have broken friendship off because of a person's sexual orientation. I have two relatives who are,'gay,' as they do say!
    As a priest, I wouldn't officiate at any wedding for two such people because I believe a wedding is for the union of man and woman. Neither do I accept Women's Orders the whole matter is strange and foreign to me, I think that the Church, (Catholique, i.e. Orthodox, Anglican & Roman,) should meet in a Great Council, by delegates who should debate the matter. As it is the whole liberaL AGENDA, IS SIMPLY TEARING US APART !
    Having said that, I could give a blessing to a couple if I was asked for one. II don't know enough to judge, yet I have the evidence of my eyes on the question of W/O.

Peteprint likes this.
  20. seagull

seagull Active Member

England
    Religion:
    Anglican
    George V once said of gays (then referred to as homosexuals or queers), "I thought men like that shot themselves". If you had such an orientation (and I presume you do not), would you take that course of action?