Terms of Service

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Admin, Jul 20, 2013.

1. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member Typist Anglican

2. AnglicanAgnostic

AnglicanAgnostic Well-Known Member

New Zealand
    Religion:
    none
    Hi I hope you are not going to be too dogmatic about statements like

"There shall be no derogatory statements about Scripture, such as that it is erroneous, not the word of God, or teaches anything but the truth."
    I always respect people views on this matter, but Biblical apologetics is my thing. Is it allright to say the Bible is in error or wrong (with supporting arguements)? This site can hardly claim to be about apologetics if you are not allowed to say the Bible could be in error.
    There is also the view probably supported by a significant number of Biblical academics that the Bible is just man's inadequate, fallible, attempt to explain an ultimate truth.

3. Admin

The view you expressed in the last sentence is incompatible with orthodox Anglican Christianity. However on your first point, questions are more than welcome. See item no.8.

"8. Open discussion

Within the provided boundaries, all discussions on topics such as the validity of Scripture, the truth of Christianity, and the importance of Anglicanism are more than welcome."

Hopefully this clarifies the range of discussion.

4. Ogygopsis

Ogygopsis Active Member

Admin, can you please further clarify: "orthodox Anglicanism". The view that the bible is a human book, a story of faith, with some good examples and some bad examples, trying to tell us about God and how to live: well that has been articulated by a bishop and more than one priest of my acquaintance. The fallibility of scripture being a product of its rendering by human beings first as oral stories, then written, then copied, then translated, with an insertion of the motives and biases of those involved. AnglicanAgnostic has articulated pretty much that, in a more strident form. Is this sort of understanding considered beyond acceptable basis for discussion here?

5. Admin

Sure that has been done here: http://forums.anglican.net/pages/faq/

"What is meant by the terms traditional and orthodox?
    Views formulated without influence from Liberalism in theology and Postmodernism in philosophy."

6. JonahAF

JonahAF Moderator Staff Member Typist Anglican

The next Q is relevant as well:

The FAQ is likely to continue to be expanded as time goes on.

7. Ogygopsis

Ogygopsis Active Member

I'm not familiar with the term "liberalism in theology". I looked up what I could find. Most of it seems to be referenced on the 'net as "liberal Christianity", which was formed in the late 18th century in response to the Enlightenment. If the following is unwelcome here, I would probably also be unwelcome, quoted from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberal_Christianity]here[/url]

I would all of that more or less describes my views, with what I have said for many years: Willing to question all from the secure base being a follower of Jesus. And finding the most meaning in worship through liturgy. -- Am I in the wrong place in this forum then?

I have no clear understanding of post-modernism, except that it seems to reject most or all of history and learning, seems mostly negative. I've suspected it is more or intellectual playing. I am not knowledgeable about it enough to say more.

8. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

According to the post above yours Og, I think all are welcome here to discuss orthodox Anglican Christianity, even those who don't share that view, so long as their discussion conformss to the standards of the TOS

9. Admin

The Terms of Service have been updated with new sections on Solicitation and minor verbal rephrasings throughout.

The promotion of gay marriage and women's ordination has been prohibited in Section II, under "Modern errors."

Last edited: Jan 29, 2015