Talking Sheep

Discussion in 'Faith, Devotion & Formation' started by Incense, Jan 2, 2013.

1. Incense

Incense Active Member

I remembered today that one time I was at church and I was not really focusing but then I hear something and it makes me giggle! I love sheep and I know we are called a few times sheep and Him, Jesus, our Shepherd but I never heard it like this: "We are your talking sheep Lord" I thought yeah that's true we are talking sheep!! I really liked this metaphor!
    I remembered this today because I was thinking a lot about how Jesus is my Shepherd, and how we will know it's Him!

Does anyone have any similar thing to share? any cool thing you picked that can slip our attention sometimes?

ps. this is how you can doodle sheep if you are interested :p [​IMG]

Scottish Knight likes this.
  2. Toma

Toma Well-Known Member Anglican

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    That's a really good topic, Incense! The Good Shepherd is my favourite metaphor in the Scriptures - perhaps because of my English blood! Pastoral clichés about hillocks and garden fences notwithstanding, they are beautiful creatures, but... :)

... one thing to learn about sheep is that they are not intelligent, or noble animals. If they are out in a wet atmosphere for too long, they develop a maggot-infested rash underneath the wool, which has to be ripped off after the application of certain creams & herbs. They are dirty, stinky, dull, cowardly, and ridiculous. The sheep-dog only exists to corral them together so they don't wander off in a daze. When a sheep does get lost, it becomes frightened and can kick or bite anything that approaches it. The only way for a shepherd to save a lost & wounded sheep, back in the Lord's time, was to chase it down, wrestle it to the ground, temporarily dislocate its legs, and carry it on his shoulders, hands tightly holding the ankles - and even then it might try to defend itself by urinating or defecating right on the shepherd's shoulders. Once it had calmed down, its legs were re-set in their sockets and it continued happily on its way to eat grass and bleat.

The Good Shepherd gains a lot of significance when you know the reality, and not the cuddly-fluffy-wooly bit... but yes, we are definitely the Lord's Talking Sheep... ;)

Scottish Knight and Incense like this.
  3. Incense

Incense Active Member

This is wonderful Consular! I did not know all that but it makes it even more beautiful to be actually talking sheep and cared that much for by the Shepherd with our dirt and ridicules and maggot and stubbornness! Thanks for the information!