Services for the deaf

Discussion in 'Liturgy, and Book of Common Prayer' started by Robert, May 20, 2013.

1. Robert

Robert Active Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (Anglo-Catholic)
    Is anyone familiar with services being adapted for the deaf?

2. Symphorian

Symphorian Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    Anglican, CofE
    Not first hand experience. Depends if the person is profoundly deaf with no usable hearing or people who are hard of hearing and benefit from using a hearing aid. If its the former, then ideally the deaf person would worship in a Deaf Church where there's a deaf identity or culture and where they can worship in their first language i.e. sign language. An interpreter could be used in a hearing church but they would have to work closely with the clergy with regard to liturgical and theological issues and have a good knowledge of church linked sign language. For the hard of hearing a loop system can be utilised. Those leading the service would need to ensure that they use their microphones and that the loop system is functioning properly.

I know of some churches in my area that try to engage deaf people in regular worship by making use of PowerPoint and providing easy to read service sheets including Bible readings and sermon. Bible readings can sometimes be dramatized/mimed quite successfully. Looser Service of the Word structures can give more scope by engaging worshippers in different ways and making greater use of the other senses.

3. Gordon

Gordon Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Franciscan - Anglican
    No but have been to a service where a hearing person signed for members of a deaf congregation.

4. Robert

Robert Active Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (Anglo-Catholic)
    I just wanted to add that I just stumbled upon a very interesting documentary on netflix called Through Deaf Eyes.