Saw this, thought it worth sharing:

Discussion in 'The Commons' started by Patrick Sticks, Dec 13, 2012.

1. Patrick Sticks

Patrick Sticks Member

England
    Religion:
    Christian- Anglican
    Made me think of Bertrand Russell's 'The Theologian's Nightmare', does rather make you wonder doesn't it?

Incredible though.

[​IMG]

2. Toma

Toma Well-Known Member Anglican

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Cosmology and Astronomy are two of my favourite fields, and are the lion's share of what led me to belief in God. It is precisely the grandeur of the so-called emptiness that leads one to rethink the vast emptiness in one's heart when without God. Thank you for reminding me of these photos!

The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. - Psalm 19:1

The greatest glory of all this is that it is not the ultimate, nor the end: for all of it is merely created. The holy, majestic, beautiful, Infinite Eternal One made it from pure nothingness, as with us all - but what sparkling gems of nothingness these His creatures are! If simple stardust glimmers so well, imagine how beautifully God's everlasting glory must shine with splendour on High!

In all that out there, there may yet be others to share this life and light of the Lord with. The very size and majesty of it invites us to go forth...

And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. - Mark 16:15

Scottish Monk likes this.
  3. Stalwart

Stalwart Well-Known Member Anglican

America
    Religion:
    Anglican
    This is wonderful, profound, and beautiful. It no more challenges my faith than evolution. I wouldn't leave it to an atheist like Russell to describe what is or isn't theological.

Scottish Monk and Toma like this.
  4. Scottish Monk

Scottish Monk Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian
    Mr. Sticks...

Thank you for sharing the above images.

I am a retired businessman. Another of my hobbies (in addition to learning about Anglicanism) is amateur astronomy. I have several telescopes and binoculars, and observe the night sky every chance I get. Two nights ago I was out with a pair of Swift Audubon 8.5x44 binoculars observing an open cluster of stars in the Vulpecula constellation called the "Coat Hanger" (Collinder 399, Brocchi's Cluster), which lies about halfway between the bright stars Vega (Alpha Lyrae) and Altair (Alpha Aquilae), currently in the Western Sky an hour after sunset. This star cluster always amazes me. So out of place among the random array of stars, planets, and deep sky objects. Yet, sometimes I reflect that God hangs his robe on the Coat Hanger cluster whenever he takes a rest during his on-going creation.

Here is an image of the Coat Hanger that I retrieved from the Internet.

[​IMG]

The Coat Hanger (Collinder 399) open star cluster.

And here is an interesting video at youtube: The Hand of God: Images of the Cosmos.

Patrick Sticks and Toma like this.