Salutations All!

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Patrick Sticks, Oct 8, 2012.

1. Patrick Sticks

Patrick Sticks Member

England
    Religion:
    Christian- Anglican
    So I have taken the name Patrick Sticks, I would've settled for Styx if there weren't some rather unfortunate translation implications involved. The name however does give me a wonderful opportunity to share in my chief theological and historical passion of the Fathers, as well as offer a small homage to dear old Kierkegaard who I have a special affection for. So far, so eclectic, so Anglican.

So what can I say about myself? A lifelong member of the jolly old CoE and, simultaneously, the Methodist Church (grew up in a parish that was part of the bright ecumenical decades innit?) I guess I'm a chap at a bit of a crossroads, at that sort of age of trying to find one's vocation, whatever it may be...The last few years have been spent in full time study which has seen a climb up the candle but I begin to wonder whether Anglicanism really could claim to be the true heir to the Fathers, the apostolic church. I'm a huge fan of Orthodox Theology (neo-patristic synthesis), I think it would be a fascinating and exciting thing to bring into more Anglican Theology, and a counterpoint to the medievalist Radical Orthodoxy...But of course it begs the very obvious question as to whether there might just be another Christian Community, small, introspective, and largely comprised of migrants and ever-unhappy conservatives as it tends to be, that would be a better home for this sort of thinking?

What brings me here then, is the search for what actually constitutes an 'Anglican' identity, and how far is it rooted in the struggling but enduring Church that the Father's knew in their mortal lifespans? Because I must admit I'm finding it hard to say what constitutes a shared core for all who claim Anglicanism from New York to Abuja to Sydney to Canterbury. I wonder also about the shape of Anglo-Catholicism specifically, what is it that gives it a better claim than Rome, or indeed, Constantinople, to dogmatic truth? What is its distinctive voice and identity these days when much of it seems to be an imitation of Roman form but with more gin, lace and disobedience to the local Bishop?

I wonder what Charles Gore would say?

Apologies for the length.

Old Christendom likes this.
  2. Adam Warlock

Adam Warlock Well-Known Member

Welcome!

3. Scottish Monk

Scottish Monk Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian
    Welcome Mr. Sticks. The Anglo-Catholic question usually brings a few comments--one way or another. Jump into a current thread, or start a new thread about this or that.

...Scottish Monk

4. mark1

mark1 Active Member

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Welcome!

We welcome you questions and your input.

5. historyb

historyb Active Member

USA
    Religion:
    CEC (Anglo-Catholic)
    Welcome

6. Stalwart

Stalwart Well-Known Member Anglican

America
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Patrick, welcome to the forums from me as well!

7. nkygreg

nkygreg Member

USA
    Religion:
    Franciscan Order
    Welcome!

8. Hermas

Hermas New Member

Religion:
    Eastern Orthodoxy
    Welcome.