Riddle Me This (for ACNA People)

Discussion in 'Navigating Through Church Life' started by The Hackney Hub, Jan 13, 2013.

1. Celtic1

Celtic1 Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Celtic Christian
    And AMiA, and other faithful orthodox Anglicans.

Lowly Layman likes this.
  2. Celtic1

USA
    Religion:
    Celtic Christian
    No, "Ex-Episcopalian" fits TEC, so "TEEC" :)

Lowly Layman likes this.
  3. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

4. mark1

mark1 Active Member

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican
  5. The Hackney Hub

The Hackney Hub Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    The Episcopal Church
    aka, countless other schisms. Further breaking our Lord's command.

St. Paul is not advocating schism. I've always heard this passage discussed in relation to marriage, being "yoked". There is also a difference, which you don't seem to grasp, between individual bishops and clergy adopting heresy and the Church adopting heresy. The Protestant Episcopal Church has not adopted any heresy per our doctrine, discipline, or canons. Resolutions of General Convention are just that, resolutions!. They reflect the mind of that Convention. If you truly believe that TEC is heretical, then so is ACNA, because they use the same "doctrine, discipline, and worship" that we do, i.e. the 1979 Prayer Book.

6. Celtic1

USA
    Religion:
    Celtic Christian
    The TEC, in approving actively homosexual clergy and same-sex unions, as a denomination, has fallen into apostasy. Orthodox provinces of the Anglican Communion believe this.

Old Christendom and Lowly Layman like this.
  7. The Hackney Hub

USA
    Religion:
    The Episcopal Church
    The whole of TEC hasn't approved homosexual clergy and same-sex unions, get your facts straight.

8. Pax_Christi

Pax_Christi Member

United States
    Religion:
    Protestant Christian
    I'm curious since I'm not Anglican. The Hackney Hub, if the TEC does complete endorse such practices, what would you do?

9. Celtic1

USA
    Religion:
    Celtic Christian
    I have my facts straight.

The TEC voted to accept the Sodomite Robinson as a bishop; they voted for blessing of same-sex unions.

Why don't you be honest.

Lowly Layman likes this.
  10. The Hackney Hub

USA
    Religion:
    The Episcopal Church
    Because you're wrong.

Have you read what constitutes marriage in the Constitution and Canons of the TEC? Have you read what the rubrics of the Prayer Book say? Much less there are diocesan canons in place that protect the sanctity of marriage and the holiness of orders.

It's best not to set a "line in the sand". The canons uphold the traditional teachings on marriage, so does the Prayer Book.

11. The Hackney Hub

USA
    Religion:
    The Episcopal Church
    I direct your attention, first, to Canon IV.4.1(b), which directs clergy to, "“conform to the Rubrics of the Book of Common Prayer.”

Here is the definition of marriage as per the 1979 BCP, page 422, “Christian marriage is a solemn and public covenant between a man and a woman in the presence of God. In the Episcopal Church it is required that one, at least, of the parties must be a baptized Christian; that the ceremony be attested by at least two witnesses; and that the marriage conform to the laws of the State and the canons of this Church.”

Since the Prayer Book refers to the canons, I will post the relevant ones here. The principal canon is Canon 18, I point out the following relevant portions:

Canon 18.2 (b), “Holy Matrimony is a physical and spiritual union of a man and a woman, entered into within the community of faith, by mutual consent of heart, mind, and will, and with intent that it be lifelong.”

18.3 (e)-(g)), we find the declaration of intent, signed by the man and the woman before the service of holy matrimony:

(b)"We, A.B. and C.D., desiring to receive the blessing of Holy Matrimony in the Church, do solemnly declare that we hold marriage to be a lifelong union of husband and wife as it is set forth in the Book of Common Prayer.
    (f) "We believe that the union of husband and wife, in heart, body, and mind, is intended by God for their mutual joy; for the help and comfort given one another in prosperity and adversity; and, when it is God's will, for the procreation of children and their nurture in the knowledge and love of the Lord.
    (g) "And we do engage ourselves, so far as in us lies, to make our utmost effort to establish this relationship and to seek God's help thereto."

12. Celtic1

USA
    Religion:
    Celtic Christian
    I am not wrong.

The TEC as a denomination has approved ordination of actively homosexual clergy and blessing of same-sex unions. Because of this, the orthodox provinces of Anglicanism, including African Anglicanism and Global South Anglicanism, consider TEC to be apostate.

Lowly Layman likes this.
  13. mark1

mark1 Active Member

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican
    The Resolutions changed the canon of TEC. That is why Bishop Lawrence left. While I disagree with his decisions, the fact remains that per the canon of the TEC, no bishop (or anyone else) can limit active homosexuals or trans-genered individuals from the priesthood or any other ministries with The Episcopal Church.

And, yes, knowingly ordaining active (unmarried) homosexuals continues and constitutes acceptance by TEC.

IMHO, Bishop Lawrence could simply have stayed and ignored these canons.

Yes, there are those within TEC who disagree with the national church and its canons. But your position is no different than saying that the Roman Catholic Church does not reject women's ordination because there are many within the Church who disagree with the national Church (and the universal) Church.

14. The Hackney Hub

USA
    Religion:
    The Episcopal Church
    No, it didn't change the canon, it only expresses the action of the Convention in regards to A049.

I'm sorry, you are simply wrong. The Constitution and Canons do not permit either of these. The bishops of most diocese might allow it in their dioceses but they are actively breaking the canons.

15. The Hackney Hub

USA
    Religion:
    The Episcopal Church
    I've posted the relevant sections of TEC's Constitution and Canons. You've posted nothing other than your opinion.

16. Gordon

Gordon Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Franciscan - Anglican
    Actually he is according to a number of commentaries I have read on this passage. I believe the Expositor's Bible Commentary - Revised is a really good one that lays out the differing view of Biblical scholars, the following is an extract that does indicate separation in circumstances where individuals or groups are going against the teachings of our Lord;

That said I agree with you that TEC in total has not accepted those proposals, so you are right about that part of your argument.

17. The Hackney Hub

USA
    Religion:
    The Episcopal Church
    My point is directly related to the Roman Church, thanks for bringing it up. My point is that TEC teaches what I posted above about holy matrimony, regardless of how many Episcopalians (including clergy and bishops) say, just like the Roman Church teaches that contraception is wrong, despite the fact that over 90% of Catholic women have used artificial contraception.

18. The Hackney Hub

USA
    Religion:
    The Episcopal Church
    Fair enough. I'd have to really do a study on the text to really arrive at any sort of conclusion and I'm really not an expert on biblical interpretation. It would remain to be explored if he would permit leaving the Church or exploring alternative relationships with orthodox bishops such as DEPO.

Gordon likes this.
  19. Celtic1

USA
    Religion:
    Celtic Christian
    It is not my opinion that the General Convention of TEC confirmed the election of Gene Robinson as bishop, and that it approved blessing of same-sex unions. You can dodge, twist, contort, misrepresent, obfuscate, and deny all you want, but those actions make TEC apostate and sever it from all orthodox Anglican provinces, as recognized and affirmed by those provinces. TEC is an apostate denomination. There are local churches which do not hold to these actions, but the denomination as a whole has fallen into apostasy. That is fact.

Lowly Layman likes this.
  20. The Hackney Hub

USA
    Religion:
    The Episcopal Church
    Fact? Ha! You're a joke.