Response to General Convention

Discussion in 'Anglican and Christian News' started by The Hackney Hub, Jul 11, 2012.

1. The Hackney Hub

The Hackney Hub Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    The Episcopal Church
    I'm interested in drafting a short letter to send to the Presiding Bishop declaring disapproval for the actions of the 77th General Convention of the Episcopal Church. It's not meant to try to persuade any action but to say that we will not be sending any money to the national church or any Episcopal organization that supports the decisions of the General Convention.

I would like to add names to the list if other people are interested in signing on. Please send me a message if you are.

Stalwart and Scottish Monk like this.
  2. Anna Scott

Anna Scott Well-Known Member

The Hackney Hub,
    How can we control whether or not any money is sent to the national church? Just wondering.

3. The Hackney Hub

USA
    Religion:
    The Episcopal Church
    It's tough but I'm including in the letter the decision to support orthodox entities where they exist, i.e. Anglican Relief and Development instead of ERDF or the Anglican Bible and Book Society instead of the Bible and Common Prayer Book Society (of TEC), etc. I'm also stating in the letter, that those of us who are vestry (like me) will campaign that our parishes designate that we do not want our diocesan tithes sent to the national church -- which is possible in Albany, to an extent.

I would really like to include as many names as possible on this letter, please pass this message along.

Scottish Monk likes this.
  4. Anna Scott

The Hackney Hub,
    Thanks. I see what you are saying.

I was thinking I could designate my tithe checks as "Rector's Discretionary Fund." That is the only way I know to keep my tithe from going to the "national church." I do also contribute to the Anglican Relief and Development.

Thanks for the suggestions,
    Anna

Scottish Monk likes this.
  5. The Hackney Hub

USA
    Religion:
    The Episcopal Church
    That's a good idea too. Are you in TEC? If you're comfortable, I could add your name to the list.

6. Anna Scott

Yes, I'm in TEC. I'm writing under a pen name. Would you send me a copy of the letter by private message?

7. The Hackney Hub

USA
    Religion:
    The Episcopal Church
    Sure. I'm still composing but when it's finished I'll send it.

8. Anna Scott

Thanks. I'll have to look over the Budget carefully; and see what steps my Parish is taking before deciding about signing.

Here is the BUDGET 2013 – 2015 THE EPISCOPAL CHURCH