Recovering Authentic Christianity, by Phil Ashey [AmericanAnglican]

Discussion in 'Anglican and Christian News' started by World Press, Oct 3, 2016.

1. World Press

World Press Active Member

Recovering Authentic Christianity

DateTime: 2016-09-30 19:42:17

standing-with-bible-770x303.jpg

When I think of my own children and their commitments to Jesus Christ, to a calling to the various ministries in which they are serving, and in their search of church “homes,” the word I hear frequently is “authentic.” They are longing for authentic Christianity. They are longing to find an expression of following Jesus Christ, through the Church, that takes utterly seriously what he said and did. Jesus said “go and make disciples of all nations and wait for power from on high to equip you and begin in your own community, Jerusalem (Matthew 28:16-20; Luke 24:49; Acts 1:8).

So my son has taken that to heart, found a church in the heart of Chicago with a mission to transform his neighborhood, through a small “gospel community group” of people who live in his neighborhood.

Inwardly, he is developing ancient habits of the heart like Sabbath time that he and his peers are seeking to practice. Upwardly, he is part of a dynamic team that leads others every Sunday morning into a place of deep worship of Jesus Christ and calling upon the power of the Holy Spirit. Outwardly, he is developing relationships with and discipling middle school boys in his neighborhood “from all nations” and from many broken families, on a team of people from his neighborhood Gospel community group who serve together in a ministry called “Wild-Life” (the middle school expression of Young Life).

The flip side to the yearning for authentic Christianity is an aversion to a Christianity that is divided and fighting among itself. I can understand that—especially among younger generations who come from increasingly broken families.

Click here for the rest of the article:
    https://americananglican.org/current-news/recovering-authentic-christianity/

Lowly Layman likes this.