REC Book of Common Prayer

Discussion in 'Faith, Devotion & Formation' started by bwallac2335, Feb 22, 2021.

1. bwallac2335

bwallac2335 Well-Known Member

Religion:
    ACNA
    So in interest of beefing up my library of BCP how is the 2003 REC BCP? Is it radically different than the 2019 BCP or the 28? Also besides the 1662 and the 62 Canadian BCP what are some other ones you would recommend owning?

Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
  2. Stalwart

Stalwart Well-Known Member Anglican

America
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I unfortunately don’t have the 2003 BCP, but it’s extremely unlikely to contain any radical differences from the 2019 or the 1928.

As for the other BCPs, you could check out the 1580s BCPs, Elizabethan era. There are a bunch of them scanned online, if you’d want me to look. What’s cool is that they have a version of family prayers, grace before and after meals, devotions before bed, in short a very accessible and comprehensive list of private devotions for all situations of life, which didn’t get included in the 1662. Only through a roundabout way did a (new) set of private/family prayers make its way into the American BCPs, after the revolution in 1789.

3. Fr. Brench

Fr. Brench Well-Known Member Anglican

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    The REC BCP is going to be a lot closer to the 1928 than to the 2019. I believe you can review the text for free online first.

4. bwallac2335

Religion:
    ACNA
    @Fr. Brench what BCP would you say I should get next. I have the 2019, 79, and the 28. I am going to get the 1662 after Lent but what would be the next one you would get?

5. Fr. Brench

Fr. Brench Well-Known Member Anglican

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    As weird as it feels to say this, that sounds like enough, unless you want to explore the BCP's of other provinces. A copy of the original 1549 would be a fun point of contact between the English and developed American Eucharistic canon.

6. Rexlion

Rexlion Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    The 2019 is enough for me. I have multiple translations of the Bible; I don't want to go down that road with multiple BCPs. :laugh: The one we use in church seems like the only one I need.

Botolph likes this.
  7. bwallac2335

Religion:
    ACNA
    I am a collector of books. I will probably go Canadian and get some of the rarer American books .