Psalm 46 and Shakespeare

Discussion in 'Sacred Scripture' started by Scottish Monk, Nov 5, 2012.

1. Scottish Monk

Scottish Monk Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian
    Was William Shakespeare, the most recognized English literary figure of the Elizabethan period, involved in the literary production of the King James Bible translation?

There is a theory that links Shakespeare with the translation of Psalm 46. If you count forty-six words from the beginning of the psalm, you come to the word "shake," and if you count 46 words from the end of the psalm you come to the work "spear." This suggests to some a veiled reference to the psalm as a work of William Shakespeare.

What do you think?

[​IMG]

Psalm 46
    King James Version (KJV)

1 God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
    2 Therefore will not we fear, though the earth be removed, and though the mountains be carried into the midst of the sea;
    3 Though the waters thereof roar and be troubled, though the mountains shake with the swelling thereof.
    4 There is a river, the streams whereof shall make glad the city of God, the holy place of the tabernacles of the most High.
    5 God is in the midst of her; she shall not be moved: God shall help her, and that right early.
    6 The heathen raged, the kingdoms were moved: he uttered his voice, the earth melted.
    7 The Lord of hosts is with us; the God of Jacob is our refuge.
    8 Come, behold the works of the Lord, what desolations he hath made in the earth.
    9 He maketh wars to cease unto the end of the earth; he breaketh the bow, and cutteth the spear in sunder; he burneth the chariot in the fire.
    10 Be still, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the heathen, I will be exalted in the earth.
    11 The Lord of hosts is with us; the God of Jacob is our refuge.

2. Toma

Toma Well-Known Member Anglican

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    With respect, I'd call it fanciful at best. This is like finding 9/11 in Matthew or Hitler in Apocalypse

Maybe he did, maybe he didn't... but if he did, it would certainly explain the prosaic beauty of the translation. :)

3. Scottish Monk

Scottish Monk Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian