Professional Atheist Dawkins Says Christianity ‘Bulwark Against Something Worse’ [Breitbart]

Discussion in 'Anglican and Christian News' started by World Press, Jan 27, 2016.

1. World Press

World Press Active Member

Professional Atheist Dawkins Says Christianity ‘Bulwark Against Something Worse’

Dawkins-2-640x480.jpg

by Thomas D. Williams, Ph.D. | 12 Jan 2016 | 0

In a text that is coursing about on social media, professional God-slayer Richard Dawkins begrudgingly admitted that Christianity may actually be our best defense against aberrant forms of religion that threaten the world.

“There are no Christians, as far as I know, blowing up buildings,” Dawkins said. “I am not aware of any Christian suicide bombers. I am not aware of any major Christian denomination that believes the penalty for apostasy is death.”

In a rare moment of candor, Dawkins reluctantly accepted that the teachings of Jesus Christ do not lead to a world of terror, whereas followers of radical Islam perpetrate the very atrocities that he laments.

Because of this realization, Dawkins wondered aloud whether Christianity might indeed offer an antidote to protect western civilization against jihad.

“I have mixed feelings about the decline of Christianity, in so far as Christianity might be a bulwark against something worse,” he said.

Click here for the rest of the article:
    http://www.breitbart.com/national-s...christianity-bulwark-against-something-worse/

2. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

N Ireland
    Religion:
    Traditional RomanCatholic
    My main concern is that the article promotes islamophobia

3. Mark

Mark Well-Known Member Anglican

United States
    Religion:
    Happy Anglican
    Read the article. First he said this in 2010, 6 years ago. Second it does not promote islamophobia. Since when is telling the truth about something or someone a phobia. That is just silly and a way leftists or unorthodox "christians" or secularists use to try and shutdown any discussion on a position they know they have a weak position on.

Just read the newspapers from Europe. The Muslims in their actions are doing a good job of showing the West their nature. There is no irrational fear of Muslims, but a fear based in the facts of their faith, their actions and their statements.

Fr. Mark

Andy likes this.
  4. Religious Fanatic

Religious Fanatic Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian
    Dawkins fans are absolutely vile people. Especially the younger generation who is eating this stuff up, and allowing the nastiness of the internet to influence their real-life behavior. They can be just as rude in person as they are online where they get most of their information. Since battling the constant resurfacing of bad memories earlier this year, I recalled one event in a parking lot where my sister offered to help two people carry their groceries. They had a Dawkins bumper sticker, and they were very much the 'Jay & Silent Bob' kind of millenials you see nowadays. They acted really suspicious about why my sister was trying to help them, and whispered something about religion because they saw she wore a cross necklace. She was helping them for a while and I engaged with them in a conversation and lite debate because I knew where this was headed. They were incredibly smug, arrogant, and fundamentalist in both their atheism and devotion to Dawkins as a kind of God. They went to extravagant lengths to try and say that communists who have mass-murdered were actually secretly religious or just pushing another form of faith or religion that was less obvious. Everything Dawkins says is taken as gospel truth. They even said atheists who didn't agree with Dawkins and believe we should have civil discussions do not care, are not serious, or not truly atheist, and that they could go 'F' themselves. They had no clue about the subject of biological determinism when on the subject of materialism and free will, they acted like I was some idiot who made it up and did not know what I was talking about. They said an atheist who believes in determinism is not a good atheist and probably secretly religious. They said what biological determinism probably means is just that things like hair color or eyes or personality might be determined by genes, and that denial of free will is probably a very rare view for an atheist to hold, mostly ones that aren't very informed. This whole discussion ended with them saying some very detrimental things. The guy asked his girlfriend, "Do we really want these people to do favors for us? They don't care about us and just use it to convert people and then they don't care, and if we let them, we'll probably think they're good people and want to convert or be nice to them." His girlfriend nodded. My sister this whole time was helping them without saying much at all. She was quiet and has always been a very generous and caring person, more than I could ever be. The guy told her, "Hey, man, let me have all that." He started to rip all the groceries out of my sister's hands, and her eyes widened in shock. She accidentally dropped some bags expecting the guy to manage to take them all, and when she did they acted disgusted like it was her fault. The girlfriend also laughed and said she 'knew she was doing this as some act' which was a total lie. They said, "We all know you don't care and want to blow us up like muslims." My sister was confused terribly and didn't know what to do, and said nothing in return. She wasn't even paying attention to the discussion and didn't know why they were so upset. That left a bitter taste in my mouth. But it's exactly how I expect them to act.

I am really scared about living in a western culture that is rapidly becoming a secular, post-Christian trash heap. I am ashamed of western entertainment and attitudes making you feel dirty for holding those values. I am more interested in African and Asian cultures at the moment because they still care and are caring more about actual values while the west deteriorates. Christianity is flourishing there. I also am not particularly warm to the other post-Christian western nations as they are being bludgeoned with the same curse. This causes me a lot of worry and fear everyday.

African Anglican likes this.