Prayer for the Departed

Discussion in 'Liturgy, and Book of Common Prayer' started by Toma, Sep 10, 2012.

?

Do you pray for the departed?

1. Yes.

8 vote(s)
    72.7%
  2. No.

3 vote(s)
    27.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Toma

Toma Well-Known Member Anglican

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Friends, let me propose an honest question.

Is prayer for the dead judicious, good, and fruitful? We really have to think of this, given the lack of specific Biblical permission or censure.

Thoughts are appreciated, but please don't just answer "because the early church did it", or something like that. At least give a reason why you believe it's right and good. :)

2. Toma

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    To me, it seems there are two possibilities for the dead:

1. Each soul is judged only at the general judgment upon the last day.

If this is so, we are right in praying that God will be merciful to those who are now at rest, awaiting the judgment of their souls and hearts.

2. Each soul is judged immediately at death, and also judged at the general judgment on the last day.

If this is so, why pray for those who are already judged at the moment of death, and whose eternal destiny is thus set and known only to God and themselves? If the dead person is in a cleansing-place, it was God's decision to put them there exactly so long as, or so much as, they require it. Isn't it presumptuous to ask God to prematurely take souls out of the cleansing which they have deserved? Think about it: God ordains that Soul X is cleansed by 500 "years" in purgatory, and we ask that he be released sooner. What does that say about our trust in God's ability to discern the exact proportions, medicines, and treatments needed for each soul?

Seeker likes this.
  3. highchurchman

highchurchman Well-Known Member Anglican

Britain
    Religion:
    Anglican/Catholic
    I pray for the Dead and have done since I was a child, neither do I pray for them, just or simply, because the Church tells me to, I pray for them because as a sinner, I believe that most people will need help at the appropriate time. I believe it is fruitful and I follow the teachings of Christ, who said if you need ,or seek, ask and it will be given to you! In interpreting scripture as an individual, I do not feel particularly confident and it is a great comfort to have the guidance of the Church which I consider as the Body of Christ. Now! If I am in error, I have confidence in a just Trinity, that my lack of knowledge or understanding will be forgiven. As far as I can see I have not wilfully ignored the teachings of Scripture, neither have I gone against the traditions of the ages!

Sean611 and Scottish Monk like this.
  4. Toma

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Highchurchman, if the judgment of a soul concludes immediately at death, our prayers cannot even have an effect. What do you think of that?

I would "rather be safe than sorry", as it were. I'd rather do that which is least dangerous, and most safe. Since I don't know if God considers it an insult to His glorious justice for me to pray for the dead, I will not pray for the dead.

5. Scottish Monk

Scottish Monk Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian
    I am in the process of replacing a crumbled grave marker for my great grandmother (1863-1905). She has been on my mind during this process. I want to pray for her. However, I have never prayed for a dead person. I am interested in recommended prayers for the dead. Are there written prayers for the dead in the BCP or other sources?

Scottish Monk

6. highchurchman

Britain
    Religion:
    Anglican/Catholic
    Who said that there is Judgment immediately after death and if there is, it is final? I believe that after death we go to a place of rest, i.e. paradise and awaite judgement! This is the teaching of the Catholic Church !

Scottish Monk likes this.
  7. highchurchman

Britain
    Religion:
    Anglican/Catholic
    Dear Cousin in Christ,

There are plenty of books that cater for prayers, when I pray at the Liturgy, I use our beautiful prayers from evensong, at home in the quietness of my own space, I use my own thoughts and talk from ,hopefully, my own experience and heart.

8. Toma

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    In the 1549 "unreformed" BCP for the burial of the dead, this prayer occurs just before the celebration of Holy Communion:

This prayer was removed in 1552, and no other prayer specifically for the dead occurred in any BCP until the 1928 American, I am informed. Even the "liberal" 1962 BCP contains only prayers that God would comfort the living.

~~~~

Do you know who taught it, or where it was taught in history? Rome teaches that there are two judgments: individual at death, and generally of mankind, at the last day. Is this not the Anglican position?

9. Gordon

Gordon Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Franciscan - Anglican
    Part of the Franciscan Community Obedience liturgy which we daily either in community of alone prays that those who have gone before us by name from within our province rest in peace. This is based on a day within each month, basically if my brother passed away on the 18th of a month we remember him on that day within the month.

10. Toma

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    The Franciscans of Halifax do that as well. They have a little book next to their table which they open before each meal, for the prayer. It was dreadfully awkward to sup with them and have to be silent during every "eternal rest, grant unto them/him/her", especially after they thought they'd nabbed my soul for Roman Catholicism. :p

Scottish Monk and Gordon like this.
  11. The Hackney Hub

The Hackney Hub Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    The Episcopal Church
    Historically, Anglicans have affirmed an intermediate state, i.e. that Christians receive particular judgment upon death while awaiting their resurrection and final judgement at the return of Christ in Hades or the realm of the dead. Anglicans have justified praying for the dead on this concept by allowing prayers for the Christian dead but without any notion of purgation or offering on behalf of the dead. Ironically, this theory (of an intermediate state) prohibits invoking the saints. So you either get to pray to the saints or for them.

12. Gordon

Gordon Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Franciscan - Anglican
    Thank God we don't have to do that at meal times... :)

13. Toma

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Are there any Divines you know of who go deep into this? Also, what is the scriptural witness to two judgments?

14. The Hackney Hub

USA
    Religion:
    The Episcopal Church
    Bishop Hobart delivered a funeral address for Bishop Moore where he explored the subject. It's available on Project Canterbury but I don't think it has a title other than "Funeral Address".

Scottish Monk and Toma like this.
  15. Toma

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Toward the end of the Burial Service of the 1928 American BCP, this optional prayer occurs:

16. anglican74

anglican74 Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    Where might I go to read more about this view? The intermediate state as different from the R.C. theory of purgatory?

17. The Hackney Hub

USA
    Religion:
    The Episcopal Church
    Pearson's Exposition of the Creed has a section on it, Article V, I believe.

18. Toma

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    In case you're wondering:

Volume 1
    Volume 2

19. CatholicAnglican

CatholicAnglican Active Member

Canada
    Religion:
    Traditional Catholic
    I pray for the Faithful Departed, not just cause I'm an Anglo-Catholic, but cause I believe the suffrages and prayers of Christians can help those in Purgatory, just like water quenches a man crossing through a desert, our prayers and alms can help the Faithful Departed. The 1962 Canadian BCP contains the Requiem Aeternam in the Funeral Rite. It is also good to pray Psalm 130 (De Profundis) with a Requiem Aeternam at the end of it for all departed Christian souls.

20. Toma

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    You appeal to the Canadian BCP of 1962 to justify prayer for the departed while also believing Purgatory, which doctrine is described as erroneous in that very same prayer book. Article XXII:

"The Romish Doctrine concerning Purgatory", etc., is "repugnant to the word of God".

Please don't appeal to a document if you're not going to appeal to all of it!