Pope wants to re-word the Lord's Prayer??

Discussion in 'Non-Anglican Discussion' started by Lowly Layman, Dec 7, 2017.

1. peter

peter Active Member

England
    Religion:
    Anglican
    That is how it is given in the King James Version. That's good enough for me.

2. Tiffy

Tiffy Member Anglican

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
    The phrase is not a request alone, but a statement of faith and a request combined. (Request)= Lead us Heavenly Father. (Statement of faith)= Not INTO temptation, BUT. (Statement of faith)= Deliver us from evil.

God leads no one into temptation, nor tempts anyone: The English vocabulary and syntax of this old Elizabethan language is difficult to explain to the users of modern English.

Let no one say when he is tempted, "I am tempted by God"; for God cannot be tempted with evil and he himself tempts no one; but each person is tempted when he is lured and enticed by his own desire. James 1:13-14.

Similarly the text quoted in the Opening post can be easily misunderstood by today's English reader or hearer.

"It is a great evil to want anything that is good". Very confusing to the modern mind, since the very sentence preceding it states, "So that we here Pray for every thing that is or can be good for us:"

Of course the accurate modern rendition should be: "It is a great evil to lack, (or want for), anything that is good".

Thus the need for clarity in liturgy, understandable to the average English speaker in today's church.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
  3. Peteprint

Peteprint Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    High-Church Laudian, APA
    If I remember correctly, in the Lamsa translation of the Peshitta Bible, he used "let us not enter into temptation."