Pope to resign

Discussion in 'Anglican and Christian News' started by Jeff F, Feb 11, 2013.

1. Jeff F

Jeff F Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Conservative Believer
    Toma likes this.
  2. Toma

Toma Well-Known Member Anglican

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    That is very interesting. Almost 600 years have gone by since the last resignation - and humility drives this one, not necessity. What a really very refreshing and unexpected thing for him to do. :) Let us all pray for him, that he may fix himself on the blessed hope to which we are all called, and so inherit Him who died for him.

Peteprint likes this.
  3. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

Toma likes this.
  4. Toma

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Usually they strenuously hold on to their ill-gotten Chair until the very end. It's refreshing to see that he's stepping down for dignity's sake. :) Since the last one was 600 years ago, I assume there isn't much of a severance-pension. :p

Perhaps he'll become a respected mystical author.

5. Lowly Layman

He's a great author from what I have read. And a keen intellect.

MatthewOlson likes this.
  6. Lowly Layman

I disagree with your characterization of JPII. I thought one of the great contributions was his continuing even in the face of overwhelming physical disability. In a culture that worships youth and beuaty, his was a powerful testimony that even the elderly and the infirm have a ministry and gifts to bring the church. We must remember that man does not see as God sees, man only sees the outer shell, God sees inwardly. We may demand our leaders look and act the part, but God says "My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness".

7. Jeff F

Jeff F Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Conservative Believer
    [quote="Lowly Layman, post: 10776, member: 1159"]I disagree with your characterization of JPII. I thought one of the great contributions was his continuing even in the face of overwhelming physical disability. In a culture that worships youth and beuaty, his was a powerful testimony that even the elderly and the infirm have a ministry and gifts to bring the church. We must remember that man does not see as God sees, man only sees the outer shell, God sees inwardly. We may demand our leaders look and act the part, but God says "My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness".[/quote]

I can appreciate that point of view, but as the leader of a world wide denomination, public appearances where he was physically being held up by assistants, and forgetting words to scripture and liturgy, were troubling to some. A large chunk of the worlds population look solely to this man for guidance and interpretation of scripture, so at least the appearance of mental competence is important. I'm guessing Benedict had some of the same feelings, given his actions.

Jeff

Lowly Layman likes this.
  8. Lowly Layman

Since its been said he has Alzheimer's, I think the disease itself makes this a different situation than with JPII. He would be incompetent, which would make it impossible for him to make valid decisions, plus he may linger in that state for a protracted period, grinding the wheels of bothe Vatican and the church to a hault for an indeterminate amount of time.

Jeff F likes this.
  9. Toma

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    There's really no need for the Pope, effectively and practically, since the creation of Episcopal Conferences in Vatican II, ironically. This is indeed a very short span of time; less than half a month!

10. Lowly Layman

He is still the secular head of state for Vatican City.

Toma likes this.
  11. Toma

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    At any rate, here is the list of "papabili" - the cardinals considered most eligible or likely to succeed Benedict XVI:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_papabili_in_the_2013_papal_conclave

Of the list, the oldest (Scola of Milan) was 21 when the Council called Vatican II began. The next-oldest (Ouellet, a French-Canadian) was turning 21 as Vatican II ended. The rest were youths when the Council was being implemented. This is very important, as it was regarded to be a liberal/progressive Council. Those who took part or were ordained before (i.e. John Paul II, Benedict XVI) are now passed-away or retired. The entire list of men who are papabile come from the 1960s crop. A signal change may be occurring in the next generation. Look for it. :)

12. Peteprint

Peteprint Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    High-Church Laudian
    This is historic news, I doubt such a thing will happen again in my lifetime. I wish Pope Benedict well, and hope there are no serious health issues behind his decision.

MatthewOlson, Servos and Lowly Layman like this.
  13. Old Christendom

Old Christendom Well-Known Member

Religion:
    Reformed
    The man's just too old and sick for that kind of job. Let him have some rest for the rest of his days, close to the Lord.

Lowly Layman and Jeff F like this.
  14. Toma

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Look at this thread on Catholic Answers:

http://forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=753484

The first prayer offered up for the Mods of CAF to have an easier time of it on this day? A "Hail Mary". The next? The Prayer to Michael the Archangel. How long will it take for the Lord's Prayer to even get mentioned?

This inability of Romanists to immediately address themselves toward God in times of need is very disturbing, but it is no surprise when Benedict XVI's own announcement today included this:

"And now, let us entrust the Holy Church to the care of Our Supreme Pastor, Our Lord Jesus Christ, and implore his holy Mother Mary, so that she may assist the Cardinal Fathers with her maternal solicitude, in electing a new Supreme Pontiff."

The Lord Jesus gets a token mention, but everything is placed in the hands of the Theotokos. How long, O Lord?

Celtic1 and Peteprint like this.
  15. Peteprint

Peteprint Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    High-Church Laudian
    Celtic1 likes this.
  16. Incense

Incense Active Member

When Pope Benedict was still a priest or maybe bishop he wrote something about how a pope should actually resign... I could not find it but it was very good.

17. Stalwart

Stalwart Well-Known Member Anglican

America
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Here's the link to the Vatican announcement, together with the text transcript, and the audio itself of Benedict announcing his resignation:

http://en.radiovaticana.va/m_articolo.asp?c=663815

It must be said, his voice does sound frail in the audio.

There are suspicions that Ratzinger resigned because of dealings that have to do with the crimes committed by the Legion of Christ:

"Days after resignation, new documents shed light on scandal that shadowed Pope Benedict"
    http://www.globalpost.com/dispatches/globalpost-blogs/belief/pope-benedict-legion-christ-scandal

"New documents offer insight into a sex scandal with connections to Pope Benedict just days after his resignation."
    http://www.globalpost.com/dispatche...ef/legion-christ-pope-benedict-marcial-maciel

Toma likes this.
  18. Stalwart

Stalwart Well-Known Member Anglican

America
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Another interesting article from the Guardian:

Papal resignation linked to inquiry into 'Vatican gay officials', says paper

update....

http://mashable.com/2013/02/28/pope-benedict-xvi-tweets-removed/

Pope Benedict XVI's Tweets Have Been Removed