Photos that make you think

Discussion in 'Arts, Literature, and Games' started by Toma, Jul 10, 2012.

1. Toma

Toma Well-Known Member Anglican

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Friends,

Do you ever come across that photo which instills an indescribable "hmm" or "ooh...", something fills your heart with peace, joy, or contemplation? Please feel free to post such here, and tell us why they bring you closer to God, the truth, or your fellow man.

Paintings are just not real enough to communicate that absolute reality which comes with photographs. Let it be of anything, but let it be a true photo.

For me, light shining in darkness is always extremely moving... even in real-time, light seems static: yet it is a moving wave. Its peaceful glow warms everything it touches, like the love of God.

This hits the nail on the head:

2852672177_5cdb4f4aff_b.jpg

Larger version

2. nkygreg

nkygreg Member

USA
    Religion:
    Franciscan Order
    What a beautiful and inspiring picture.

Toma likes this.
  3. Toma

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Too bad no one else seems to have anything to contribute!

From the same photographer, a Dominican friar in England called Lawrence Lew:

[​IMG]

We clearly share the love of shafts-of-light. :)

4. Toma

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I love birds too, like the late Rev. John Stott...

Here is a lovely stole next to a chalice and paten given to a recently-ordained priest: note the Pelican (who pierce themselves and feed their young with their own blood when there's no food) and Caladrius (the mythical bird who absorbs the maladies of the terminally ill and flies into the sun, obliterating itself and the sickness so the dying person can live on unto righteousness). Christ our Lord is so beautifully depicted in so many ways.

[​IMG]

5. Scottish Knight

Scottish Knight Well-Known Member

Scotland
    Religion:
    Christian
    Fascinating symbolism.

I have a photo from Arthur's seat I like a lot, unfortunately I can't seem to load it to the forum.

6. Seeker

Seeker Member

[​IMG]

It is an oil painting by Andrea del Sarto called "The Sacrifice of Isaac"
    I don't know if you are able to see Isaac's expression in this picture but when I saw it in real it moved me. My heart sank before the power it was portrayed with and it made me take for a lot about Isaac's position and how he would have felt and it made me realize how huge was the sacrifice of Christ for me! Indeed I was be in such pain as painted there on the face of Isaac facing his death and Christ on the cross delivered me like this ram did for Isaac. It was a big reminded for me for my desperate state without my Saviour.

nkygreg, Scottish Knight and Toma like this.
  7. nkygreg

nkygreg Member

USA
    Religion:
    Franciscan Order
  8. Anna Scott

Anna Scott Well-Known Member

Great pictures everyone.
    Anna

9. nkygreg

nkygreg Member

USA
    Religion:
    Franciscan Order
  10. Scottish Knight

Scottish Knight Well-Known Member

Scotland
    Religion:
    Christian
    Ok, since others have put up paintings here I guess that's the green light for me to do the same :D

[​IMG]

I saw this at the art gallery a couple months ago and I was immediately drawn to it, it's such a powerful picture I think. The artist has captured the strain, tiredness and exhaustion perfectly in the photo and it's slightly ironic how sick these doctors look because of the strain on making others well. It's a reminder of the personal cost sometimes it is to care for others

nkygreg, Toma and Seeker like this.