Overcoming doubt

Discussion in 'Faith, Devotion & Formation' started by Aidan, Jul 7, 2018.

1. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

N Ireland
    Religion:
    Traditional RomanCatholic
    How do people cope when experiencing doubt, eg Gods existence, efficacy of sacraments etc?

anglican74 likes this.
  2. anglican74

anglican74 Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    I think about all the reasons which make it the most clear-sighted thing in the world...

I also make a Prayer for God to keep making it easy for me, and not to take his holy ghost from me

Aidan likes this.
  3. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

N Ireland
    Religion:
    Traditional RomanCatholic
    In addition to prayer and spiritual direction, I sometimes draw comfort from the fact that much more brilliant brains than I are fervent believers eg Chesterton ,Belloc, Lewis , Tolkien to name but a few.

Lowly Layman likes this.
  4. anglican74

anglican74 Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    Ultimately I'd stay, you have to ask yourself, is your religion conditioned on mass social approval? Or not!

And even if you find yourself sadly admitting that your religion is based on mass approval, think of the countless saints, compared to the ptiful amount of atheists (almost all living today)...

I think of that wonderful phrase from Chesterton.. "Tradition means giving a vote to most obscure of all classes, our ancestors. It is the democracy of the dead."

5. Tuxedo America

Tuxedo America Member

United States
    Religion:
    Latin Rite Catholic
    Prayer.

JoeLaughon likes this.
  6. BibleHoarder

BibleHoarder Active Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian
    Like others have said, besides prayer, I remember that very bright people do exist who are believers, as well as remembering the love and exceptional forgiveness, grace, charity and mercy that I have seen from Christians that is seldom expressed from non-believers, which makes them unique and proves the spirit is working in them. I am often debating among myself and in my mind the claims or negative things claimed by atheists or anti-Christian radicals, but realize I often do it with a spirit of excessive rationalism and anger, whereas in childlike humility I remember the compassion given to me by the simpler, humbler practicing Christians who didn't rely entirely on arguing to show that the spirit had power. It reminds me that I can't just win this battle purely by my own reason, and reminds me that I need to immerse myself in simple faith and obedience to experience the spirit at its fullest.