Orthodoxy v Catholicism

Discussion in 'Non-Anglican Discussion' started by Aidan, Jul 5, 2018.

1. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

N Ireland
    Religion:
    Traditional RomanCatholic
    What are the main theological differences?

2. Peteprint

Peteprint Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    High-Church Laudian
    I assume that you mean Eastern Orthodox, Aidan. I used to be Orthodox, and the differences include not accepting the Bishop of Rome as head of the Church (they see all bishops as equal, with the Bishop of Rome as "first among equals" at most), they have a Cyprianic view of the sacraments, rather than Augustinian, they reject Purgatory as it is normally understood by Catholics, and there are others as well. This Wikipedia article covers most of them:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theol...tholic_Church_and_the_Eastern_Orthodox_Church

What many people often don't realize is that the Eastern Catholic churches, e.g., Byzantine Catholic, Melkite, etc., follow many of the practices of the Eastern Orthodox, so often, when someone says, "Catholics do such-and-such," they are actually referring to Roman Catholics, not the Eastern Catholics. The Eastern Catholic churches, however, are part of the Catholic Church, and under the Pope.

At the Union of Brest, an occasion when some of Ruthenian Orthodox churches entered into union with Rome, they were allowed to leave out the filioque (an addition that Rome made to the Nicene Creed), and they were not required to accept the Roman views regarding purgatory:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Union_of_Brest

Since the Orthodox are not a single church under a single leader, they do have some differences regarding their attitudes towards Rome. The Roman Catholic Church considers Orthodox sacraments to be valid and will commune Orthodox. The Russian Orthodox Church has traditionally accepted Roman clergy that convert by simply vesting them, but some of the other Orthodox Churches would re-ordain them. The Patriarch of Constantinople has had good relations with recent Popes, while the fundamentalist monks on Mt. Athos tend to be more hostile towards Rome.

Magistos and Will_ like this.
  3. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

N Ireland
    Religion:
    Food for thought. Thank you Pete

Magistos and Peteprint like this.
  4. Peteprint

Peteprint Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    High-Church Laudian
    My pleasure, Aidan. Hope it was helpful.

Aidan likes this.
  5. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

N Ireland
    Religion:
    Very much so , until now I thought "the union of breast' referred to female solidarity!!!

Peteprint likes this.
  6. Tuxedo America

Tuxedo America Member

United States
    Religion:
    Latin Rite Catholic
    Aside from the filoque and Papacy vs. Patriarchs debates?

I think most of the theological differences are relatively minor compared to these two- they still keep us out of communion with one another, but these two are the "big ones".