new inquirer

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Egbert, Mar 11, 2016.

1. Egbert

Egbert New Member

USA
    Religion:
    inquirer / Christian
    Hi all,

I have been feelimg drawn back to Christianity for some time now, and recently have been looking into the Anglican Communion. I keep getting the feeling it's "the real thing".

I do have a couple questions. Is the ECUSA really going to be excluded from the Communion? I'm sure this is a big question, just wondering if there's any consensus prognosis. Also, as a baptized Christian, is it true that I can receive Communiom without a lot of fanfare?

Pax Christi,
    Egbert

2. Andy

Andy Member Anglican

3. Spherelink

Spherelink Active Member

Religion:
    Unhinged SC Anglican
    Welcome, friend

4. Mark

Mark Well-Known Member Anglican

United States
    Religion:
    Happy Anglican
    Egbert,

Welcome.

Is the TEC going to be excluded? There is going to be a schism with the Orthodox Anglicans and the TEC, Anglican Church in Canada and possibly the CoE. So the TEC will be excluded from the majority of Anglican Churches. Right now most of the Anglican Communion is either not in Communion with the TEC or in impaired Communion. A growing number of Archbishops will not participate in services nor take communion with the TEC.

You can receive as a Baptized Christian in most Anglican jurisdictions. I would check with the requirements of the parish you are attending.

That being said, it appears you had abandoned Christianity for a period of time. I would suggest you speak with your priest for counsel and confession.
    I do not want you to partake of the Body and Blood of Christ in an unworthy manner. Also, the rubrics of the prayer book tells the priest to deny communion to those who, even baptized, have lived "a naughty and evil" manner. Just because you are baptize does not automatically allow you to
    receive the Body and Blood of Christ.

Blessings

Fr. Mark

Egbert and Andy like this.
  5. Egbert

Egbert New Member

USA
    Religion:
    inquirer / Christian
    Thanks for the replies, especially yours, Fr. Mark. I certainly will speak with a priest. However, I expect that will be embarrassing and so on ("uhoh, another of these guys..." thinks the long-suffering priest), so I wanted to get some idea here. Seems like everywhere you look there's a schism. Anyway, thank you.

6. Mark

Mark Well-Known Member Anglican

United States
    Religion:
    Happy Anglican
    Egbert,

A priest should not and none I know would ever think "uhoh, another of these guys". A priest and heaven rejoices when a child of God comes home.
    The parable of the prodigal son is a metaphor about God and a wayward son coming home. As the father runs to embrace his son who once was lost,
    God yearns to "run" to you His adopted son.

I pray you return to the embrace of God and His love.

Fr. Mark

7. Anne

Anne Active Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglo-Catholic
    Welcome!

Good questions. I second talking with a priest - he will only be delighted, nothing at all the demeanor you fear. It does feel embarrassing, but just think of it like taking off a band-aid....best to just get it done with then delay and drag things out:) All the best to you!