Meeting with an Anglican priest

Discussion in 'Navigating Through Church Life' started by Toma, Oct 29, 2012.

1. Toma

Toma Well-Known Member Anglican

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Dear friends,

I am having a meeting with the rector of our old Anglican parish later this month. Having diligently searched through history for more than one year now, I know that my place as an honest Christian is not with Rome.

Joining the Anglican Communion will be difficult. All my friends are R.C., and I happen to live in what is probably the most liberal Anglican diocese in the entire Communion. The "bishop" is a woman who approved same-sex blessings last year, and regularly conducts "interfaith services" at gay pride parades. The diocese is saturated in deathly attendance-levels, and seems like a hopeless furnace of error. The glory of Christ, the truth, and my conscience, however, impel me forward.

I come to ask: how should I approach this good, simple, evangelical rector? He is under the authority of "Bishop" Susan, yet he seems very conservative. I don't know him very well. What should my main theme be? "I want to be an Anglican, but am unsure about X, Y, and Z"?

I would appreciate your prayers, advice, and encouragement in this dark time of the Church. It isn't easy to move from the security of Roman assurances, into the murky waters of the schism which seems to be underway in Anglicanism.

Scottish Knight likes this.
  2. Patrick Sticks

Patrick Sticks Member

England
    Religion:
    Christian- Anglican
    Well, if you can't be honest in the church, with Christian siblings, what hope is left for any of us? :)

Don't hide your light under a bushel- disguising your concerns will not help in getting them answered! If you think God's behind it, what is there to be worried about?

I hope there will be a comfortable place for you somewhere, be it in Anglicanism, or possibly, elsewhere but fear not the tensions of Anglicanism I would say, perhaps when we are at our weakest and most honest we are most open to the promptings of the still, small voice...or at any rate things are not usually so fraught at parish level, in practice, in the flesh, we all tend to rub along, aware there are far more practical concerns 'on the ground', as it were.

Toma likes this.
  3. Scottish Monk

Scottish Monk Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian
    Well...it will, for sure, be slow. When the rector says the bishop is coming to lay hands to confirm--make sure you are johnny on the spot. If you miss the bishop's visit to your church, it may be another year before you have another chance. Of course, you can always ask to be confirmed in another parish, if you do miss the bishop's visit.​

I suggest you schedule a session with the rector, show up, and be sincere in your decision to be confirmed an Anglican. The rest will come along in due time.​

Ahh, but these are also exciting times. Use your great mind and research skills, learn all of the many facets of Anglicanism, and welcome what comes your way. And remember, Anglicans are light on dogma! But big on liturgy and reason--two gifts that you have in abundance.​

...Scottish Monk

[​IMG]

Toma likes this.
  4. Toma

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Patrick, there are only three legitimate episcopal churches which may claim a government and theology in line with the early Fathers of 325, 381, 431, and 451. Those churches are the Roman, the Orthodox, and the Anglican. Lutherans are not episcopal, and thus find themselves at odds with the Fathers. Non-Chalcedonians, Nestorians, Assyrians, and Copts reject the Fourth Ecumenical Council and dishonour the Lord Christ. This is not a matter of comfort anymore; I have found it right and good to eliminate all possibilities but three. Romanism and its episcopal tyranny denies me; Orthodoxy and its (forgive me) superstitious treatment of saints, the dead, and icons, denies me. What is left but Anglicanism? And yet here I am, in an Anglican diocese that has no diocesan bishop. You can understand if I've sometimes despaired of God's presence amongst His people... :)

Scottish Monk, I was baptised and confirmed a Roman Catholic. The Anglican diocese here does not "re-confirm". A bishop surely must accept and receive me, though?

Whether light on dogma, liturgy, theology, rationalism, or philosophy - whatever it is, it must be true to the ancient traditions and Faith of God. If it is not, it is not of God. Sorry to be a fanatic, I guess, but I am persuaded that one must seek the pure, undefiled faith. No acceptance of gay relationships, no arians, no women clergy, no gnostics, no secularism, and no sabellianism. Christ is our Saviour, and we must pay our vows, respect, sacrifices, and glory to Him. You can see why I am being very cautious! :)

Both of your posts are deeply appreciated. Any fellowship in this lonely time is beloved and beautiful in my sight...

5. Old Christendom

Old Christendom Well-Known Member

Religion:
    Reformed
    Personally, I could not attend a parish under the authority of a female "bishop."

Approving homosexual "blessings" only makes the matter worse. One cannot have partnership with the unfruitful works of darkness, as the Apostle commands us.

Toma likes this.
  6. Scottish Monk

USA
    Religion:
    Christian
    Consular, I will keep you in my prayers, as you request.

...Scottish Monk

7. The Hackney Hub

The Hackney Hub Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    The Episcopal Church
    Consular,

You shouldn't have to be received formally by the bishop (you could). I would raise your concerns to this rector in your chat with him. Perhaps he feels the same way.

Toma likes this.
  8. Toma

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    That is all I ask. Alleluia, thanks be to God for the gift of brethren.

Right, no compromise; however, there is a true communal body of Christ, of which I must physically be a part. The evangelical rector here was certainly ordained by a male bishop who had been ordained by male bishops down the years. Also, the womanbishop is not alone; there is a Suffragan, who is male - and even if he was consecrated by Bishop Sue, 2 male bishops assisted - so his validity is out of question. He is going around confirming and receiving people in his visitations to (from what I can tell) conservative parishes.

Just for a bit of beauty, here are some pictures of the High Church cure of a man who was ordained by the Bishop of Ely. It's hard to deny the Christian validity of such honest pious public faith.

Palm Sunday:

Praying for the Baptists:

[​IMG]

Procession down one of the main streets:

[​IMG]

Distribution of Palms:

[​IMG]

9. Toma

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Is that so, Hackney? Can I call myself "Anglican" if I am not formally received? Thank you very much for this advice. I will certainly raise it with him!

10. Old Christendom

Religion:
    Reformed
    I wouldn't dispute the validity of the ordination itself but I would dispute the orthodoxy of the bishop's faith.

Yes, the pictures are beautiful and I'm sure many of those people have a sincere faith but, as you know, important questions of doctrine and practice are not resolved with an appeal to aesthetics.

Toma likes this.
  11. The Hackney Hub

The Hackney Hub Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    The Episcopal Church
    You're already part of Christ's one, holy, catholic, and apostolic Church. You should join a parish formally but I don't think reception by a bishop is required, unless you desire it.

Toma likes this.
  12. Toma

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I can't wait until she retires and leaves us alone. I don't suppose there's a way that I can, in private conscience, treat the Suffragan as "my bishop", is there? A bishop is of one dignity with all bishops, after all. What a shame that this must even be considered. Lord, have mercy.

Quite so.

Well put, sir. My only qualm is this: receiving Holy Communion from a valid Anglican priest while his parish actively recognizes an heretical impostor. That is surely giving a false witness, and owning the acceptance of an unacceptable thing. I wish to be blameless in all conversation within the Body of Christ. This will be the first thing I bring up before the Rector.

This is fun, in a way. God challenges each of us deeply in our conscience, and it's deadly serious - but we can enjoy living in His Spirit as we fight the spiritual war.

13. Old Christendom

Religion:
    Reformed
    Consular,

Isn't there any Continuing Anglican parish nearby? Or at a reasonable driving distance?

14. Toma

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    There's an "Anglican Network in North America" church I've heard about, but it is reported to have a "very small" congregation, which I imagine is about 5-10 people. I'm also wary of schism, and am not entirely sure whether these ACiNA/ACNA people will even last as a Communion. I guess the only thing left for it is to go talk with them.

"Church of the Resurrection, let by the Rev Stephen Ashton is ANiC’s first congregation in Nova Scotia. It is currently considered a “project”."

Rev. Ashton actually resigned and quit from this Anglican Church of Canada diocese last year when same-sex blessings were approved. He hadn't resigned 5 years ago, when "Bishop" Sue was consecrated, however - which raises alarm bells as to his orthodoxy.

Enemies all around, apparently.

The Hackney Hub likes this.
  15. Scottish Monk

USA
    Religion:
    Christian
    Consular...

I agree with Hackney Hub. This is exciting. The pictures speak volumes. Please keep us posted.

And yes, you are already in our prayers.

...Scottish Monk

Old Christendom and Toma like this.
  16. Old Christendom

Religion:
    Reformed

But is this Anglican Network in North America actually part of the Continuing Anglican movement? The Continuing Anglicans are usually quite orthodox.

That is true but it would be a matter of getting in touch with His Lordship and let him speak for himself.

Toma likes this.
  17. Aaytch Barton

Aaytch Barton Active Member

usa
    Religion:
    Anglo-Reformed
    OK, so the glory of Christ impels you forward, but what about the discernment of His revealed will? Does it reveal that your doing is ordered by His governance, to do that which is righteous in His sight.... so to speak?

18. rhiannon

rhiannon Member

England
    Religion:
    Anglican (HIgh)
    Just be plain and say what you said here with him and he will guide you. He will want you to feel at ease to be able to bring to the discussion what is on your heart. If it helps you, email him first with an outline so that then he might ask that right leading question, or he may just wait for you to say