Low Church

Discussion in 'Questions?' started by Geer, Aug 18, 2019.

1. Geer

Geer New Member

Cyprus
    Religion:
    Anglican
    What is a "low Church" service like? can anyone explain to me please.

2. Symphorian

Symphorian Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    Anglican, CofE

Can vary from church to church. Holy Communion would be celebrated with minimal ritual or ceremony. Holy Table likely to be without coloured frontal and probably just a pair of lighted candles. Church likely to be plainly furnished generally and without Saints statues/icons. Minister wears cassock, surplice and scarf/stole rather than Mass vestments. Minister not assisted by a complement of other liturgical ministers such as Deacon, Subdeacon and Acolytes/Servers. Minimal ritual, processions unlikely, no incense. Minimal pious gestures used by minister and congregation. Choice of hymns might reflect a more Reformed theology.

The above is a generalisation. Mileage may vary from church to church. The church in my neighbouring village is affiliated to the Affirming Catholicism movement and is High Church for the Sunday Eucharist. However, for mid week celebrations of Holy Communion the Priest wears cassock, surplice and scarf and North Ends using 1662 at a plain wooden Holy Table in a side chapel.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
    Thomas Didymus and Geer like this.
  3. Geer

Geer New Member

Cyprus
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Thanks, seems like my parish are more "low church" leaning

4. Shane R

Shane R Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    043 (1024x768).jpg
    This is a replica of the original church at Jamestowne, one of the first English colonies in the USA. There is a service at this place every week. My colleague Fr. Tom served it on occasion until the local TEC diocese managed to get exclusive rights to conduct the service. One cannot but hold a low service in such a place. And that's alright.

In low church culture, you will start to see things like monthly communion rather than weekly communion. There are subtle things that the average parishioner will never notice. For example: I've never seen a low church cleric wear a biretta. In TEC, low church often takes the form of the 'said service', which is usually scheduled as the earlier of two communion services.

5. Symphorian

Symphorian Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    Anglican, CofE
    My parish church is somewhere in middle of the road territory. The sanctuary has a 17th century High Church vibe with oak paneling and coloured frontals for the Altar. There are never more than two lighted candles on the Altar. At Holy Communion the Rector usually wears a cassock-alb with coloured stole but on major days a chasuble is added. Our Associate Priest is a bit higher up the candle and always wears a chasuble for HC. For festal services such as Harvest and Nine Lessons he wears a cope over choir dress.

Our church has Lady Chapel with plain wooden Altar and coloured superfrontal. There's an Aumbry for reservation of the Blessed Sacrament but it is only used for Communion of the sick or housebound. The chapel houses a plain statue of the BVM. At HC services the President isn't assisted by other clergy or servers but a commissioned minister in civvies goes up to assist with distribution by ministering the Chalice.

Personally I've never been too concerned by churchmanship (or should I be saying churchpersonship in the modern CofE? :hmm:) My preference is for High Church ceremonial as found in Percy Dearmer's English Use. (I can tolerate Tridentine Romanism in small doses but there's not much of that in my diocese now.) I'm also quite happy with Low Church ceremonial with Minister in choir dress but I'd draw the line at no vestments at all and a liturgy which deviated from authorised forms.

Thomas Didymus and Geer like this.