Looking for Conservative Cathedrals in England

Discussion in 'Personal Advice, Care & Prayers' started by American Anglican, Jan 11, 2018.

1. American Anglican

American Anglican New Member Anglican

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum and I'm a very devout High Church Anglican from the US. I was raised an Episcopalian, but left in favor of the Church of England. I'm entirely conservative in my beliefs and lament the decline of Western Christianity, and especially the decline of what I see as the theologically correct CofE.

I'll be doing a few months of traveling in England this coming summer and I was really hoping on attending services at some of the beautiful cathedrals around England. I have found through my research, however, that many of the great cathedrals, like Salisbury or York Minster, are very liberal, and York even has a female bishop, which I'm not completely comfortable with.

I'm wondering if any of you are familiar with any larger cathedrals or abbeys that are relatively conservative? I absolutely love the majesty of the cathedral architecture and would love to hear a choir and organ perform a Eucharist in one of these beautiful places, but I don't want to deal with any political, liberal nonsense while I'm at church.

Thanks guys!

JoeLaughon and Stalwart like this.
  2. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

N Ireland
    Religion:
    Traditional RomanCatholic
    If you venture to N Ireland, not a war zone now lol, St Patrick's Cathedral Church in Armagh City holds a "low" followed by a "traditional " service each Sunday morning. Armagh for centuries has been ecclesiastical capital of Ireland as both Catholic and Anglican primates live there. The Catholic cathedral, also St Patrick's and Anglican cathedral are both beautiful and worth visiting. Armagh is a small city and its edifying that two primates live here.

Anglican04 likes this.
  3. Cameron

Cameron Active Member

Newfoundland
    Religion:
    Catholic
    I just know London won't be your choice either. I've heard good things about Westminster Abbey, as well as St Edmundsbury.

4. American Anglican

American Anglican New Member Anglican

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I hadn't even thought about Northern Ireland, and St. Edmundsbury looks quite nice as well, I'll have to check them out. Thank you both for your thoughts.

Aidan likes this.
  5. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
    Not a Cathedral, but you might enjoy Kings College Cambridge, if you are over that side of the country. Evensong is open to visitors. The music and architecture will definitely not upset your sensibilities, but be greatly inspirational, I'm sure.

Having said that though, I really think you should get out more. :hmm: