Looking for a parish...

Discussion in 'Personal Advice, Care & Prayers' started by Anne, Feb 16, 2015.

1. Anne

Anne Active Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglo-Catholic
    Dear all,

Much to my surprise it seems highly likely that I will be relocating to St. Paul, MN (for several reasons, the most important being finances and living near my family). I am in the ACA. After spending too much time searching the webs I'm beginning to feel a little worried. I know of St. Dunstan's (ACA) but -- and I feel bad to say this, maybe it's even wrong to say -- it's a tiny, older church....I am 27, my siblings are 23 and 19. Does anyone know of other continuing churches in the area? I'm willing to drive, even if it only means participating once a month!

2. Stalwart

Stalwart Well-Known Member Anglican

America
    Religion:
    Anglican
    So, are you set on an ACA parish? I can ask about there being good REC parishes if you would like?

Peteprint likes this.
  3. Peteprint

Peteprint Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    High-Church Laudian
  4. Peteprint

USA
    Religion:
    High-Church Laudian
  5. Anne

USA
    Religion:
    Anglo-Catholic
    Stalwart, thank you, yes I would be open to an REC parish albeit tentatively. I'm set on remaining in the continuing movement, and my conviction is something more like ACC, ACA, APA.

Peteprint, I am wary of ACNA. I have many good friends there, but I have still more (mostly priests) who have nightmare histories from there. I've akready planned to visit and be friends, but otherwise!

And! I didn't know that about the diocese. This is incredibly helpful, thank you.

Peteprint likes this.
  6. anglican74

anglican74 Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
  7. Anne

USA
    Religion:
    Anglo-Catholic
    Thanks, anglican74, I do plan to. But, like I said, ACNA ;)

8. Peteprint

USA
    Religion:
    High-Church Laudian
    I understand how you feel Anne. There are no ACA, APA, etc., parishes where I live; ACNA is the only game in town. I am in the process of joining a Diocese of Quincy parish as a member at large (since they are Anglo-Catholic), but taking the sacraments at the most high church parish in my city. The parishes here belong to a Diocese that does have women priests, so that is the best situation I can make for myself.

anglican74 and Anne like this.
  9. Anne

USA
    Religion:
    Anglo-Catholic
    Yes, I would do exactly what you're doing! I'm thrilled that there's a tiny ACA parish where I'm headed, but I and my young siblings are always on the lookout for young communities and ways we can participate.

Peteprint likes this.
  10. anglican74

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    Oh so your siblings are coming with you? That changes the calculus a little bit in favor of a younger parish. Then again you may be a magnet for young folks depending on how long you stay, as my parish had a few young people addicted to historic Anglicanism, but then more and more so now 25-33% of members are below 35. It's all a matter of how well the parish can present itself, have a great website and insist on being relevant to the world around it.

Anne and Peteprint like this.
  11. Anne

USA
    Religion:
    Anglo-Catholic
    Yes, that's what I'm hoping for ultimately. We'll see how things go. And adding my siblings doesn't really "change the calculus"....yes, they all know how difficult it is to be under 30 in a group of mostly over 60 but I've known it all by myself too ;) (For the past 4 years!)

We're all trying our best to make this move a good thing for everyone.

anglican74 likes this.
  12. Peteprint

USA
    Religion:
    High-Church Laudian
    Anne, I am turning 55 in September. It is just as hard on us "old-timers" in a church that caters to young people. When I was in the Orthodox Church there were groups for women (KOLO-the Circle of Serbian Women), Philoptochos for the Greek women, etc., and youth groups for the young. But an organization for middle-aged men and women or for seniors? Nonexistent.

anglican74 and Anne like this.
  13. Anne

USA
    Religion:
    Anglo-Catholic
    Yep, it's a problem. I don't like the youth centered parishes at all -- a church should always be full of families, children, and the old. At my parish there's lots for you ;)

When it comes to traditional Anglicanism, under 30 adults are scarce. This will sound forward, but here goes -- my sister and I are unmarried and every few years it gets harder and harder. But we remain faithful and patient and truly blessed and cared for.

Peteprint likes this.
  14. Peteprint

USA
    Religion:
    High-Church Laudian
    I am sure it is just a matter of time for you and your sister Anne. God bless you both. :)

15. Anne

USA
    Religion:
    Anglo-Catholic
    Thank you :) We're always hopeful :)

Peteprint likes this.
  16. Peteprint

USA
    Religion:
    High-Church Laudian
    I'll remember both of you in my prayers. :)

Anne likes this.
  17. Anne

USA
    Religion:
    Anglo-Catholic
    An even bigger thank you!

Peteprint likes this.
  18. anglican74

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    We're all in this together

Anne likes this.
  19. Anne

USA
    Religion:
    Anglo-Catholic
    Hi all :)

I began this thread with "to my surprise"....to my further surprise, I haven't moved to St. Paul to be near my dad's place of work because it turns out my dad doesn't want me there. He's been carrying on with other women for more than a year, and in fact, detests his children. So that's just lovely.

I have relocated to Madison, WI where my sister is currently going to school for her master's. I have a house with my mother who is suffering from Lyme disease and starts treatment soon, and I've been performing and teaching and offering master classes. So we're doing alright for ourselves.

My new church is Holy Apostles, ACA, about 50 minutes from my home. I am so relieved and blessed! Relocating is stressful.

Anyone here familiar with Madison? I would like to get to know some of the churches nearer to me.

Thank you for your prayers.

anglican74 likes this.