Liverpool priest who converted from Islam admits extremist fears [LiverpoolEcho]

Discussion in 'Anglican and Christian News' started by World Press, Aug 12, 2016.

1. World Press

World Press Active Member

Liverpool priest who converted from Islam admits extremist fears
    10:57, 7 Aug 2016 | 10:58, 7 Aug 2016 | By Merlyn Thomas

But Iranian refugee Mohammed Eghtedarian vows to continue his work

JS95947687.jpg
    Mohammad Eghtedarian, former Iranian refugee who converted to Christianity and is now a curate at Liverpool Anglican Cathedral

A Liverpool cathedral reverend who converted to Christianity from Islam today admitted: “The extremists can touch me. I know that.”

Mohammad Eghtedarian, who fled Iran as a refugee, was ordained as a curate at the Anglican cathedral having converted to Christianity upon his arrival in the UK.

Rev Eghtedarian spoke to the ECHO after the murder of French priest Fr Jacques Hamel, who was knifed to death at his church altar last month in an Islamist attack.

He maintained that the killing would not deter him from his mission - but admits there is a risk.

Rev Eghtedarian said: “We don’t have to be naive. We can’t go out and pretend to be heroes.

“The extremists can touch me. I know that.

“What happened in Normandy was awful and evil."

JS95767931.jpg
    A picture of late Father Jacques Hamel is placed on flowers at the makeshift memorial in front of the city hall closed to the church where a hostage taking left a priest dead the day before in Saint-Etienne-du-Rouvray, Normandy (AP Photo/Francois Mori)

"I don’t know what I would have done if I were him. Would I let them kill me? Would I resist? What would I be praying at that time? But I do know that God would be there with me.

“At the end of the day I believe that life and death are in our Lord’s hands.

“So I could die in an accident or in an act of terrorism.

“We must continue our work.

“If our Lord went through affliction and difficulties along the way then this is also our mission too.”

Born into a strict Muslim family in Iran, becoming a Christian, let alone a priest, was an unlikely turn of events.

After losing his father in a car accident at only 13 years old, Rev Eghtedarian said: “I was looking for a father. And I finally found one in God”.

The Iranian government blacklisted him early on in his life for speaking out against the Basij militia, and it was no longer safe for him to remain in Iran.

Travelling by truck, train and on foot through numerous European countries, he was helped by Christians along the way. A Christian who helped him in Paris asked him a crucial question: ‘Do you have any peace in Islam?’.

“I said yes I had at the time, but deep down I knew I didn’t,” said the Reverend.

Click here for the rest of the article:
    http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/liverpool-priest-who-converted-islam-11715436

2. alphaomega

alphaomega Active Member

usa
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Very encouraging.

3. Madeline

Madeline Well-Known Member

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    God protect him, God protect us all, and may more people who are searching for peace find the peace that passeth all understanding in God.

4. Peteprint

Peteprint Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    High-Church Laudian
    May the Lord protect him and bless his ministry. May he be a light to others considering leaving Islam for the Christian faith.

5. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

Amen and Amen!

Peteprint likes this.
  6. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

N Ireland
    Religion:
    Traditional RomanCatholic
    I wonder why he hasn't chosen a Christian name