Lectio Divina

Discussion in 'Sacred Scripture' started by CFLawrence, Aug 14, 2018.

1. CFLawrence

CFLawrence Active Member

United States
    Religion:
    Evangelical Episcopalian
    Dear friends... I want to begin the practice of Lectio Divina. Can anyone recommend a good website to teach me or a free book I could download?

Thank you

CF Lawrence

Cooper likes this.
  2. Dr Geoff Vincent

Dr Geoff Vincent New Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Hi there!

I don’t know how much luck you’ve had, but most of the good stuff on Lectio D is written by Catholic scholars. Jean Khoury has published a small book on the subject, while Casey wrote a larger tone entitle ‘Sacred Reading’.

Peace and all good.

Geoff V

Cooper likes this.
  3. Fidei Defensor

Fidei Defensor Active Member

Kingdom of Heaven
    Religion:
    Christian
    St. Benedict of Nursia made Lectio Divina part of His Rule. A way you can practice it is to read Scripture and let God’s Spirit (Spiritus Sancti) speak to you through a word, line, or passage.

Or you can go the more traditional route:

“Traditionally, Lectio Divina has four separate steps:
    1. read;
    2. meditate;
    3. pray.
    4. contemplate.”
    -Lectio Divina, Wikipedia

Cooper and Dave Kemp like this.
  4. Magistos

Magistos Active Member Anglican

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    My parish is focusing on it this Lenten season. They have provided lots of handouts, but I will inquire about the underlying resources for you.

I am finding it quite illuminating.

Cooper and Fidei Defensor like this.
  5. Cooper

Cooper Active Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Episcopal
    Lectio Divina... take it slow... read a large print font... wait for God's window to open.

Fidei Defensor likes this.
  6. Fidei Defensor

Kingdom of Heaven
    Religion:
    Christian
    I often tell laypeople that Scripture is an onion.

When for instance you read something Jesus our Lord says, it has a context for that day, and for those people He is addressing, it has an application for all time and for all believers, and it can speak to you specifically via Lecfio Divina.

An example “Blessed are the pure in heart for they shall see God.” (Matthew 5:8) This had relevance to Jesus’ audience who were partaking of the leaven of the Pharisees (Matthew 16:6) and who held to traditions of men over God’s commands, “You leave the commandment of God and hold to the tradition of men. And he said to them, "You have a fine way of rejecting the commandment of God in order to establish your tradition!For Moses said, 'Honor your father and your mother'; and, 'Whoever reviles father or mother must surely die.'But you say, 'If a man tells his father or his mother, "Whatever you would have gained from me is Corban"' (that is, given to God) then you no longer permit him to do anything for his father or mother, thus making void the word of God by your tradition that you have handed down. And many such things you do." (Mark 7:8-13). For all believers across all time it is a Beatitude that reminds us a pure heart is essential to see God, and we are made pure by Christ Jesus and His sacrifice, “And by that will we have been sanctified (purified, made holy) through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all” (Hebrews 10:10). Finally, for me the pure in heart speaks to another layer, that I want to keep my hear undefiled from from things that can hinder my connection with Christ, i.e. behaviors, entertainments (certain films, shows), and etc.

Cooper likes this.
  7. Cooper

USA
    Religion:
    Episcopal
    Amen.

8. Cooper

USA
    Religion:
    Episcopal
    Magistos,

Can you give us a few words about Andrei Rublev's Trinity icon in your avatar?

Cooper

9. Cooper

USA
    Religion:
    Episcopal

Fidei Defensor,

I feel I must peel the onion of which you speak. Thank you for your healing words.

Cooper

Fidei Defensor likes this.
  10. Magistos

Magistos Active Member Anglican

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    Happy to!

One of the most famous icons of the Trinity, of course, all bearing the same face (as one might expect). It refers to the three persons who visited Abraham, but tied New Testament to Old. New Covenant to Old. Silent contemplation, and completion, three in one. The Father, blessing the cup, the Son accepting, and, a detail pointed out to me several years ago, the Holy Spirit with a finger pointed down, as if inviting the viewer into the scene, to the table, into union - communion - with the Trinity. (It occurs to me that when you consider further the importance of hospitality, the enormous gesture that is.)

"That they may all be one, just as you, Father, are in me, and I in you, that they also may be in us, so that the world may believe that you have sent me."

I find it a very moving piece..and peace. It is something that I am awed and comforted by. When one prays, the Holy Spirit prays with them, The Son stands with them, and the Father hears them. I am not alone before God, but with God, simultaneously supported, listened to, and encouraged.

Cooper likes this.
  11. Cooper

USA
    Religion:
    Episcopal
  12. Fidei Defensor

Kingdom of Heaven
    Religion:
    Christian
    I love Rublev’s Trinity Icon. I read that at the bottom of the table was a mirrior so that everyone who looked at the icon got the impression you are welcome to the table.

Here is the passage Rubelev is depicting:

“1 And the LORD appeared to him by the oaks of Mamre, as he sat at the door of his tent in the heat of the day.
    2 He lifted up his eyes and looked, and behold, three men were standing in front of him. When he saw them, he ran from the tent door to meet them and bowed himself to the earth
    3 and said, "O Lord, if I have found favor in your sight, do not pass by your servant.
    4 Let a little water be brought, and wash your feet, and rest yourselves under the tree,
    5 while I bring a morsel of bread, that you may refresh yourselves, and after that you may pass on-since you have come to your servant." So they said, "Do as you have said."
    6 And Abraham went quickly into the tent to Sarah and said, "Quick! Three seahs of fine flour! Knead it, and make cakes."
    7 And Abraham ran to the herd and took a calf, tender and good, and gave it to a young man, who prepared it quickly.
    8 Then he took curds and milk and the calf that he had prepared, and set it before them. And he stood by them under the tree while they ate.”
    - Genesis 18:1-8

Cooper likes this.