It is May, for Catholics the Month of Mary. What about for Anglicans?

Discussion in 'Feasts, Fasts, and Church Calendar' started by Cameron, Apr 30, 2018.

1. Cameron

Cameron Active Member

Newfoundland
    Religion:
    Catholic
    Does your church do anything to commemorate the Blessed Virgin? This is her month. My grandfather would always display a May bush on his house, as well as wear blue vestments and lead public Rosaries.

Aidan, anglican74 and KateOG like this.
  2. anglican74

anglican74 Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    My parish isn't really doing things for the Blessed Virgin, which is probably more a Roman Catholic practice in this case... We celebrate her Feast Day as one of the saints, when it comes in due time

That being said, tomorrow May 3rd our parish is having the feast of Sts. Philip and James, so that's our main celebration, for the early part of May at least

3. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

N Ireland
    Religion:
    Traditional RomanCatholic
    What's a May bush?

Cameron likes this.
  4. Cameron

Cameron Active Member

Newfoundland
    Religion:
    Catholic
    A wee little bush covered in blue strings and ribbons, often with medals also in the branches. [​IMG]

The picture above is actually taken at our parish cemetery, it's the grave of a relative. We put one there every year.

A Naomh Mhuire, a mháthair Dé, guí orainn na peacaithe, anois is ar uair ar mbás. Amen.

Aidan likes this.
  5. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

N Ireland
    Religion:
    Traditional RomanCatholic
    Oh how beautiful. I'm not aware of this tradition ! However my high school always had a May altar dedicated to the Blessed Virgin.