Is the way to revival and restoration of Reformation Anglicanism?

Discussion in 'Navigating Through Church Life' started by Lowly Layman, Jul 4, 2017.

1. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

2. Shane R

Shane R Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    The reader must understand from experience that Fr. Salter believes the only valid way of doing theology is thru a Reformed lens. Some of his past pieces openly bashed Arminians, who, along with Lutherans and the aforementioned Reformed make up the three magisterial Protestant traditions. I find Salter's polemic to be a way of boxing in God that is not at all consistent with the historic church (ie. tradition) and his attitude toward those who do not agree with his theological prejudice unhelpful. He wearies me with his diatribes. But then, I don't consider myself a Protestant and I am assuredly not Reformed.

Anglicanism has had a history of running to opposite poles and then slowly settling back into a middle way. Yes, the Anglicanism of the first hundred years was thoroughly Protestant. But the Elizabethan Settlement allowed breathing room for the doctors of the church to reset the practice and men like Andrewes, Cosin, Laud, and Taylor moderated the Protestantism of Anglicanism. Then, the Oxford movement brought back Catholic practice with gusto. In the 20th century, we have an Anglicanism that has rediscovered the weekly Holy Communion as a parish norm but to the detriment of the daily office. However, Rome -through her generous overtures (whatever one thinks of the Ordinariates)- has trimmed away the bulk of the people who had totally rejected the Reformers. The Orthodox have also received many such people. I don't have a problem with that - God bless them all.

But to take one side or the other to its extremes is to miss the whole point of Anglicanism. We have chosen a somewhat unique approach (at least among the churches of the magisterial reformation) of basing our unity on common worship rather than confessional subscription. The reason this is not functioning well is because the Prayer Book has been supplanted as the text of worship in so many places, such that many groups of Anglicans no longer have a common language with which to communicate with each other.

D.H. and PotterMcKinney like this.
  3. anglican74

anglican74 Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    We must understand that Reformation Anglicanism is not "Reformed" Anglicanism. I read the Prayer Books and the Articles and the documents such as on this site and I don't see anything of the "Reformed tradition". I merely see broadly Reformational convictions. Which frankly were and are catholic. Deeply liturgical, high vestments, with high regard for scripture, high regard for sacraments, high regard for preaching... just a high regard for classical christianity as such. Putting modern errant categories on us is anachronistic and a grievous assault against facts and history.

Paul Dean, D.H., Aidan and 3 others like this.