Is God male? TEC contemplates revising the Prayerbook again

Discussion in 'Theology and Doctrine' started by Lowly Layman, Jul 3, 2018.

1. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    American Anglican
  2. Botolph

Botolph Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Article1.jpg

My view is that we have already resolved the question.

1. Of Faith in the Holy Trinity
    There is but one living and true God, everlasting, without body, parts, or passions; of infinite power, wisdom, and goodness; the Maker, and Preserver of all things both visible and invisible. And in unity of this Godhead there be three Persons, of one substance, power, and eternity; the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost.

Aidan likes this.
  3. Peteprint

Peteprint Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    High-Church Laudian, APA
    My thoughts on the matter are that while God is neither male nor female, He has chosen to reveal Himself to humanity as a Father. All of the scriptures refer to God in that role, and we cannot change that to suit our feelings. He could have chosen to portray Himself as a Mother, but He didn't. We have to respect and accept that as His will.

4. PotterMcKinney

PotterMcKinney Active Member Typist Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    PECUSA
    While God has revealed himself as Father in the words of Jesus and has often revealed himself to be a mother-figure as well as a father figure, and the regular trinitarian formula still stands for obvious reasons, as Wil Gafney even said in the article. This is merely a semantic thing that requires attention to detail and the evolution of language so as to get at what is the truth: God has no gender and fully embodies both male and female more perfectly than any on earth.

Aidan and Botolph like this.
  5. anglican74

anglican74 Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    I would disagree with the honorable gentlemen above, for God can be indeed described as male, insofar as all his attributes are analogical and not literal anyway.... Here is what I wrote earlier:

====
    I'm 100% with you, God is Father...

To try to call him any other names would be to adopt the heresy of transgenderism, denying the natural order of the world and the natural order of the genders...

Your interlocutor may try to argue that since God is transcendent he cannot have a human gender. While that's true on the surface it is a facile effort: God cannot be angry either, right? Yet he is clearly said to be angry. And he is also said to be a he!

Theologians have answered how God can have a gender..: natural language cannot describe God as he actually is. The only thing natural language can do is describe God analogically..

This was a very helpful article to me on this, from the eighteenth century apparently: http://www.anglican.net/works/william-king-sermon-predestination-consistent-with-free-will/
    There it is argued that we can be said to be predestined, and to have free will, at the same time, because God's attributes such as being omniscient and omnipotent are analogical

If God's attributes are analogical, then it is appropriate to describe Him as Father, because he is the author and progenitor of the human race (according to Biblical anthropology man comes first, and from him comes woman). God is our teacher, which according to Scripture is the province of the Father of the family. And certainly not less than anything else is the fact that he's simply described as a He, and a Father, in Sacred Scripture, which is God's own word...!

Peteprint likes this.