Interesting study

Discussion in 'Anglican and Christian News' started by Lowly Layman, Dec 27, 2015.

1. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

Spherelink likes this.
  2. Spherelink

Spherelink Active Member

Religion:
    Unhinged SC Anglican
    I have seen studies like this. Having a gay family can't be good for the children...

3. Lowly Layman

Apparently not, according to this study at least.

4. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

N Ireland
    Religion:
    Traditional RomanCatholic
    homosexuality aside, families come in all shapes, kids are raised by grandparents or other relatives, some kids are raised by one parent. It's disingenuous to suggest that kids thrive only with two parents. The most important thing is that the child knows it is loved

5. Lowly Layman

Really, do you have evidence to back up that claim? The study says that the optimal environment is an intact biological family. I would point to the shocking finding that children of same-sex parents reported being touched sexually by a parent or other adult a whopping 10 TIMES MORE OFTEN!!

Spherelink likes this.
  6. Mark

Mark Well-Known Member Anglican

United States
    Religion:
    Happy Anglican
    Aidan,

Sorry but you are wrong. One of my former Deacons was a Deputy Warden at a State Prison in Alabama. I have a brother in law who is a guard on death row, a cousin who is a "boss man" think Cool Hand Luke.....the guy on the horse with a shotgun and another cousin who is the Head Warden of a Maximum Security Prison for the State of Alabama. He is the guy in charge of executing death row inmates. My father is the work release coordinator for the use of prisoners for the town of Atmore, Alabama.

Every one of them tells the same story. The prisons are full of men not raised in a traditional father-mother home. It is rare to find one. Most are raised in single parent homes, usually the mother only or mother and grandmother. Most have no contact or connection with their father if they even know who he is. They can't give cards away on Father Day, but every inmate with a living mom sends one.

Study after study in the United States show the best way is Father-Mother. Of course there are bad parents, but the State is trying to destroy the family with making both parents work and having to leave the rearing of children to other who have to follow government standards.

Lowly gave empirical data to prove his point. Give yours.

Every mother of every inmate loved their son. Males without truly masculine role models will turn out to be thugs. My father mentored a young man who was raised by his grandmother. Ron was the first black kid to play in the city league in my home town. I was the center, Ron was my left tackle/tightend.
    He was the lucky one. He has a Super Bowl ring for when he played for the Washington Redskins. A few years ago, he was in our home town. Saw my dad on the street, walked up to him and hugged him. Thanking my dad for showing him the right path. Most men without fathers do not turn out like Ron Middleton. And the girls....oh God have mercy on how they turn out without a positive male role model. Read a parenting mag. Full of articles on how kids are lost due to the destruction of the traditional family.

Also google children of homosexual parents. More and more support groups and advocate groups are coming out due to the problems these kids are having now as teenagers and adults after being raised in that deviant environment.

Blessings

Fr. Mark

7. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

N Ireland
    Religion:
    I don't have empirical data, just my personal life experience. Ok?

8. Lowly Layman

Aidan, Were you raised by a same-sex couple or an intact biological family?

9. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

N Ireland
    Religion:
    My Grandparents and I knew that I was loved and wanted

10. Swordswoman

Swordswoman New Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    But they were grandmother and grandfather - correct?

11. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

N Ireland
    Religion:
    Correct. My point is that a mother and father are not essential to a child's happiness

12. Lowly Layman

Point taken. But we're talking about more than a child's happiness and whether he is loved. Plus your experience is not necessarily universal. When I was 6, my parents divorced and I became the child of a single parent household. It was a horrible experience. We were pushed into povert, my mother experienced prolonged depression and was absent for most of the day, having to take on 2 full time jobs and enroll in college. I spent most of my time alone. More than that I was victimized by a family friend. I knew I was loved. But I was not protected or provided for or engaged with.

There is an ideal family unit and it is the unit which God ordained. We, as a society, should do all we can to encourage that biblical definition of family. We should also identify and publicize the pitfalls and consequences of deviating from that biblical definition. Children need and deserve a proper family.

13. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

N Ireland
    Religion:
    "Children need and deserve a proper family", absolutely. However when the shape of a family is less than "proper", we then have an individual and collective responsibility to support such families