Hullo, hullo!

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Anne, Jan 9, 2015.

1. Anne

Anne Active Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglo-Catholic
    Greetings from Boston! Classical pianist, local performer and educator, and reader of theology and literature ...everything.

I was raised Presbyterian (PCA) and was drawn to Anglicanism, along with my parents, just two years ago. I'm in the ACA.

Living in the darkness that is Massachusettes (I moved here for grad school) I decided to take a peek at online discussion forums and this one -- with its announcement of traditional and orthodox Anglicanism at the top! -- stopped me in my tracks.

Very pleased to be here. Looking forward to learning from you all!

Servos, Paddry, alphaomega and 3 others like this.
  2. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard Anne! May God richly bless your time here.

Do tell us your experiences in coming to the ACA.

Servos and Anne like this.
  3. anglican74

anglican74 Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    Greetings Anne! I see more and more traditionalists gather here.

Anne likes this.
  4. Classical Anglican

Classical Anglican Active Member Anglican

U.K.
    Religion:
    Church of England
    Welcome, Anne! You are most warmly welcomed here! I pray you find what you seek here!

Anne likes this.
  5. Robinson Crusoe

Robinson Crusoe Member

welcome, welcome! i love the arts! do you have any audio snippets online that you can share? we rejoice in the gathering of the faithful for encouragement and edification!

Anne likes this.
  6. Peteprint

Peteprint Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    High-Church Laudian
    Welcome Anne. Nice to see ACA represented here. :)

Servos and Anne like this.
  7. Anne

Anne Active Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglo-Catholic
    Thank you for the warm welcome!

My experience coming to the ACA is a simple yet amusing one. My family had been Presbyterian for a very long time, even though we struggled with being _good_ Presbyterians. We were simply convicted back then that leaving one church for another one because we personally liked it better was a shallow and selfish thing to do (see our Scots streak there, eh? If it's not difficult it must not be right!).

But then I attended The Anglican Way Institute in TX a few summers ago and that was my first taste of more traditional Anglican worship. I returned home babbling something about it being more incarnational rather than intellectual and my family, so badly treated from our time in the PCA, seized at the opportunity. But I had also met a young man while in TX and I'm sure that had more influence on my thinking than I care to admit!

The relationship didn't turn out (thankfully. It was truly a bad idea), but becoming Anglican has been the best thing that's ever happened to me and my family. Imagine my surprise to discover the gem that is St. Paul's Parish in Brockton (about a 50 minute drive from my house), the tough and amazing story of the parishioners, and the rector (now suffragan bishop) Hiles. I teach the junior high Biblical education class and give the worship some Bach on the organ from time to time, but I do wish for a piano...

Robinson Crusoe, you're very kind, I do have just one clip online you can listen to -- I try to keep my performing off the internet, you'd be surprised how easy it is to steal! It's from my undergrad days, enjoy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laanfS8ppEs

Servos and Robinson Crusoe like this.
  8. Paddry

Paddry New Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglo-Catholic/ACNA
    Welcome to AF, Anne. I'm glad you found us.

Anne likes this.
  9. Robinson Crusoe

Robinson Crusoe Member

thanks for the link! i get a romantic in my pandora once in a while--don't mind 'em! you are quite proficient! new england is a wonderful place for music. you are very blessed to be there!