How to find BCP reprints?

Discussion in 'Liturgy, and Book of Common Prayer' started by Toma, Jan 24, 2013.

1. Toma

Toma Well-Known Member Anglican

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Friends,

I am unsatisfied with the changes made to the BCP by Canada in 1959. I've been scribbling the "proper" 1662 prayers into my edition, but it's a mess now. :p Does anyone happen to know any 1559 or 1662 reprints - with the original Lessons pre-1871 - preferably in a proper hardcover or leather Missal format? ISBN numbers would be appreciated.

The closest I've come to discovering such commercially-available reprints is The Book of Common Prayer: The Texts of 1549, 1552, and 1662 by Cummings, 2011, but it probably doesn't have all that much utility as a proper prayer book. Perhaps you can help me!

2. Gordon

Gordon Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Franciscan - Anglican
    Toma likes this.
  3. Toma

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Thank you Gordon, big brother! The one you posted from Amazon is just the one I'd found.

Can you find your 1662 from the CMS, and tell me if there's an ISBN? ;) Or, better, which is the PDF online?

4. Gordon

Gordon Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Franciscan - Anglican
    http://www.vulcanhammer.org/anglican/bcp-1662.pdf

07 3831 2188 Canterbury Press Norwich
    That was the only number on it

Toma likes this.
  5. Toma

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Thanks my brother. Unfortunately the Vulcanhammer version has the 1871 lectionary. The 1662 lectionary for the months of the year conspicuously lists a whole chapter for each lesson at MP & EP. 1871 changed this to very specific verse-selections. :)

It seems the first choice, the book by Cummings, is the best chance so far... but it lacks the Psalms! :o

6. Gordon

Gordon Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Franciscan - Anglican
    A goo
    A good 1662 liturgical psalter should be easy to find brother.

Toma likes this.
  7. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

The 1789 American BCP, uses a lectionary table that I love and the online version was the one used prior to adopting the 1871 C of E lectionary. A table for daily readings, which are listed by calendar day rather than church season, can be found here: http://justus.anglican.org/resources/bcp/1789/FrontMatter_1789.htm#TABLES of LESSONS
    Also included is an order for how the Psalter is to be read. Is this something like what you are looking for?

Toma likes this.
  8. Toma

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    That's exactly what I'm looking for; in fact, the 1789 American edition kept the exact readings of the 1662. :) In January, Genesis was read as the 1st Lesson in MP & EP alike, with Matthew forming the 2nd Lesson in MP and Romans the 2nd Lesson in EP.

Back then, lectors often would say "The Chapter is written in..." instead of "The Lesson is written in..." because almost all the lessons were full Bible chapters. This has always seemed much more orderly to me than the post-1871, 1922, 1959 tables, which are helter-skelter verses (and more difficult to locate than just a Chapter heading ;)).

What I need to find is the BCP in actual Book form. Many will scold me for this antiquarian mindset which elevates the 1662 above all others, but it speaks to me. I'd also love to have a 1559 reprint some day, in a proper book - not just in a binder! :)

Your advice is appreciated! I had no idea the 1789 had kept the 1662 lessons!

Gordon and Lowly Layman like this.
  9. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

Yup. It's what I use in my own devotions for that very reason....and one of the reasons why I prefer 1789 to 1928.

Toma likes this.
  10. Toma

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    1789 makes some interesting omissions and additions not to my own taste ;) - but to every Christian man let hiim have his own conscience ! for what He does is done "unto the LORD".

A rector who celebrated the 1662 last year for the 350th anniversary gave me some help this morning:

I would suggest you search the Novanet library system on-line for copies of the 1662, which belongs to the 1552 BCP family. I hope you won't consider me a heretic for holidng to the the original 1549 BCP, which much influenced the aborted English 1928 but saw light in the 17th century Scottish book and (finally) the 1959/62 Canadian Book.

What you really want is the century-old Prayer Book Dictionary. I own a copy and I think the library has several though I don't know if any can be checked out. However your [public] library card is good at all University and Theolgical College libraries—and I think allows you to fetch books from afar.

What helpful advice!

11. Gordon

Gordon Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Franciscan - Anglican
    I love the language and lyrical flow of the 1662 BCP I don't blame you for using it many do for private devotions.

Toma likes this.