Hello!

Discussion in 'New Members' started by F. Bayer, Jun 8, 2015.

1. F. Bayer

F. Bayer New Member

United Kingdom
    Religion:
    Anglican w/ a Quaker bent
    Hello,

I'm Fred, and I'm affiliated formally with the Religious Society of Friends (Quakers) in Britain, but informally also with the Church of England. I go to Meeting for Worship at my Quaker meeting on Sundays, but I also go to at my local parish church, where I attend Evening Prayer every day and also take communion during the week.

My background is actually a mixed bag; I'm originally from Germany, where I was brought up with both Evangelical Lutheranism and Roman Catholicism from different sides of the family. It's a fairly long story. I can't yet say for certain whether or not I might want to become more formally part of the C of E. For now, anyway, I'm happy where I'm at.

I look forward to the conversations here :)

God bless.

Lowly Layman likes this.
  2. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

Hello Fred,

Welcome aboard! May God richly bless your time here at the forums. I look forward to seeing how your quaker views inform and intersect with your interest in Anglicanism.
    -Blessings!

F. Bayer likes this.
  3. F. Bayer

F. Bayer New Member

United Kingdom
    Religion:
    Thank you :) I may post a thread in the "Non-Anglican Discussion" section addressing this.

Lowly Layman likes this.
  4. Botolph

Botolph Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Welcome among us from down under

F. Bayer and Lowly Layman like this.
  5. F. Bayer

F. Bayer New Member

United Kingdom
    Religion:
    Sorry for disappearing off. I had written a large thread detailing as requested how my Quaker background and Anglican expression intersect, and then it deleted the draft (I thought drafts were stored indefinitely like other forum software, but apparently here they get deleted pretty quickly). So I disappeared off for a while, also to finish sitting my exams, and now I've been enjoying my summer.

Also, I'm being baptised into the Church of England this Sunday! :)

I will remain a Quaker as well. Both the parish clergy and the meeting elders agree that the two organisations are not really at odds - this is, unfortunately, in part due to the "anything goes" attitude of modern British Quakerism, which is part of why I felt it lacking as a church/denomination. I now see being a Quaker, for me personally, more as a social identity which comes with a certain way of life and certain practices, rather than being a church per se; essentially, fairly similar to how a secular Jew who still keeps Jewish traditions would see his Jewish identity, or how Zen Christians would see the Zen philosophy/way of life.

So, in a way, the Church of England is now my church, and the Quakers are my people.

anglican74 and Lowly Layman like this.
  6. Spherelink

Spherelink Active Member

Religion:
    Unhinged SC Anglican
    :buba:
    What is it about Quakerism as a social identity that makes it interesting?
    Cheers!