Hell

Discussion in 'Theology and Doctrine' started by alvin, Oct 29, 2016.

1. alvin

alvin New Member

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglo Catholic
    Hi
    What is the Anglican communion view on Hell for non Christian?

My priest believes that there is a chance for non Christian to go to heaven if they lived a good life.

Does anyone here have different opinion or belief?

Since the Anglican communion is so large there is alot of different opinion and i want to know some of them.

Thanks

2. Peteprint

Peteprint Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    High-Church Laudian
    I am not certain that there is an official Anglican position on this issue, Alvin. While of course I am not Roman Catholic, I do like what the that Catechism of the Catholic Church says on the subject of "No salvation outside the Church":

"This affirmation is not aimed at those who, through no fault of their own, do not know Christ and his Church: Those who, through no fault of their own, do not know the Gospel of Christ or his Church, but who nevertheless seek God with a sincere heart, and, moved by grace, try in their actions to do his will as they know it through the dictates of their conscience—those too may achieve eternal salvation. (CCC 847)"

Additionally, the following document from Vatican II:

Gaudium Et Spesteaches on the possibility of salvation for non-Christians:

"All this holds true not only for Christians, but for all men of good will in whose hearts grace works in an unseen way. For, since Christ died for all men, and since the ultimate vocation of man is in fact one, and divine, we ought to believe that the Holy Spirit in a manner known only to God offers to every man the possibility of being associated with this paschal mystery. (22)"

Of course I cannot say that these positions are Anglican, but in view of our not having an official position ourselves, I don't see where one could be condemned for agreeing with them.

3. Madeline

Madeline Well-Known Member

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I hope there's room in heaven even for me.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

4. Peteprint

Peteprint Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    High-Church Laudian
    What a cute costume, Madeline! :)

Madeline and alvin like this.
  5. peter

peter Active Member

England
    Religion:
    Anglican
    The Westminster Confession of Faith states "the visible Church . . . is the Kingdom of the Lord Jesus Christ, the house and family of God, out of which there is no ordinary possibility of salvation."

Luther stated "Therefore he who would find Christ must first find the Church. How should we know where Christ and his faith were, if we did not know where his believers are? And he who would know anything of Christ must not trust himself nor build a bridge to heaven by his own reason; but he must go to the Church, attend and ask her. Now the Church is not wood and stone, but the company of believing people; one must hold to them, and see how they believe, live and teach; they surely have Christ in their midst. For outside of the Christian church there is no truth, no Christ, no salvation."

There is probably then space for a viewpoint of no salvation outside of the church, while interpreting the concept of the church a little more widely than the Catholic Church does.

alvin likes this.
  6. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

N Ireland
    Religion:
    Traditional RomanCatholic
    We can't see your tail lol

Madeline likes this.
  7. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

"He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned." ... "But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.
    pretty straight forward." Seems pretty straight forward. However, God is merciful. We should never despair that anyone is beyond His reach or His grace. I trust in the counsel of God that our final end will be as it should be.

Aidan, Madeline and Peteprint like this.
  8. Anglo1

Anglo1 Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian but still seek
    Christ's quotation in your first sentence is literally the only thing, some days, that keeps me going.

Lowly Layman likes this.
  9. Mark

Mark Well-Known Member Anglican

United States
    Religion:
    Happy Anglican
    There are two types of non-Christians.

1) those who have heard the Gospel and know who Jesus is and reject Him. Scripture is clear they go to hell. I find the words of Jesus after the sermon on the Mount to be chilling.....when He says just calling me Lord means nothing. My paraphrase of course.

2) those who have not heard. How many have not heard? Christ's command as He ascended was to go out and preach to everyone eveyrwhere. Convert the unbeliever. Paul in Romans 1 tells us creation reveals the true God and those who see and don't believe are not going to heaven. Also why scripture says bless are the feet of those who take the gospel.

We know scripture tells us God does not want the death of a sinner. And many take that and link being good or good conscience to mean God lets you in without Christ. Jesus is clear....you do not get to the Father except through him and him alone. That should make us Christians get off our duff for love of God, Christ and mankind to preach the gospel. I have Jewish and Muslim friends and family members. They have heard the Gospel and reject Christ. Unless they repent I know they are going to hell. Makes me sick to my stomach. But they just smile at me and my family like you would at a small child doing something funny.

Also, not everyone in the Church will be in heaven. St Cryil told his Church in the 4th century, you received the water but not the Holy Spirit like Simon Magius.

Sorry for all the paraphrasing, I am on a campout with my wife's scout troop and am using a public laptop in the restroom area.

Blessing

Fr. Mark

Aidan and Andy like this.