Guyer offers 'revisionist account of Caroline Divines' - what does this mean?

Discussion in 'Church History' started by Scottish Monk, Jul 5, 2012.

1. Scottish Monk

Scottish Monk Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian
    I was on Amazon.com looking for resources on the Caroline Divines. I ran across the following book.

Guyer, B. (2012). The Beauty of Holiness: The Caroline Divines and Their Writings. Canterbury Press.

[​IMG]

The "More About the Author" section of the Amazon.com webpage has the following statement:

His first edited volume, The Beauty of Holiness: The Caroline Divines and Their Writings (Canterbury Press, 2012), offers a revisionist account of the 'Caroline divines', the major Anglican theologians and devotional writers from the central half of the seventeenth century. Key foci for the book include political theology and the cult of monarchy, particularly that which surrounded Charles I; the comparative confessional context of 'post-Reformation' Europe; the major devotional trends, both literary and liturgical, among British Anglicans; and reinterpretation of Caroline-era divinity in the nineteenth century, particularly by Anglo-Catholics.

What does the phrase mean: "revisionist account of the 'Caroline divines'?

Thank you.

...Scottish Monk

2. Gordon

Gordon Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Franciscan - Anglican
    Yikes I don't know, but you wouldn't to try and say it without your teeth in..... :D

Scottish Monk likes this.
  3. The Hackney Hub

The Hackney Hub Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    The Episcopal Church
    It's a term for a type of historical interpretation. I think the blurb is mistaken though, Benjamin is writing against the revisionist understanding of the Carolines.

Stalwart and Scottish Monk like this.
  4. Scottish Monk

USA
    Religion:
    Christian
    Thank you for your assistance. I ordered a copy of the book.

I am interested in learning more about the Anglo-Catholic tradition. Are there any books or other sources you can recommend?

...Scottish Monk

5. The Hackney Hub

The Hackney Hub Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    The Episcopal Church
    Two classic works on Anglo-Catholic faith and practice are the "King's Highway" and "The Catholic Religion". I'd recommend you read up on the history of the movement too.

6. Scottish Monk

USA
    Religion:
    Christian
    Thank you. I will try to pick up used copies of these two books.

...Scottish Monk

7. Anna Scott

Anna Scott Well-Known Member

Scottish Monk,
    I did some searches and found an interesting article: Anglican Origins and Historical Revisionism by Fr Matthew Kirby. I'm not commenting on whether or not I agree with the position of the author; but Fr Matthew Kirby makes some interesting points about Anglican history and "Revisionism."

Anna :)

8. Scottish Monk

USA
    Religion:
    Christian
    Anna Scott...

Thank you (again, as always) for providing an explanation to the phrase "revisionist account." Your link to Fr Matthew Kirby's online article suggests a revisionist interpretation attempts to reduce the Catholic influence on the English Reformation."

Hackney Hub...

Thank you (again, as always) for telling us the author Benjamin Guyer is writing against the revisionist understanding of the Carolines.

And now I am glad to report The Beauty of Holiness: The Caroline Divines and their Writings has arrived, along with copies of The King's Highway and Catholic Religion: A Manual of Instruction for Members of the Anglican Communion.

Thank you all, it is time to get down to some serious reading.

...Scottish Monk

Anna Scott likes this.
  9. Anna Scott

Anna Scott Well-Known Member

Scottish Monk,
    I'd love to hear your review after you read the books. I haven't read either of them.

Anna