Great Anglican Sermons

Discussion in 'Theology and Doctrine' started by Toma, Nov 3, 2012.

1. Toma

Toma Well-Known Member Anglican

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Dear Friends,

As I near the end of my journey of being received properly into the Anglican Communion, many sermons pass before my eyes. Some of them are awe-inspiring.

Do you have quotes from any truly great sermons to share? :) Since we're Fathers-mad, you can include Patristic works too.

2. Toma

Toma Well-Known Member Anglican

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    A SERMON preached in the Cathedral Church of Saint Paul before the Right Honourable the Lord Mayor, et. al.
    On Sunday the Twenty-First Day of April, 1839, being the First Sunday in Easter Term
    By the Rev. Charles Cator of Brasenose College, Oxford; Rector of Stokesley, Yorkshire; Chaplain to the Lord Mayor
    LUKE 11:2 - OUR FATHER
    "These two words display a comprehensiveness of design in the great Redeemer of the world, which fills the mind with admiration of the wisdom in which they were conceived, and the unbounded love they manifest. They lift up the soul to the High and Lofty One that inhabiteth Eternity, as the Sole Object of our address in prayer, and they teach us with what holy confidence, so that it be mixed with humble reverence, we may approach Almighty God, even Our Father, upon His Throne of grace. They are also designed to bring to our remembrance daily, the Spirit of adoption we have received through Jesus Christ our Lord, whereby a children of God we are to pray; and they remind us of our relation to all mankind, as brethren of the sinful family of the fallen Adam, with whom and for whom we are to pray. They extend the range of our thoughts beyond the narrow limits of a single nation or the generation of a day; and by the light thus shining through the Father's love, they kindle in our hearts a kindred flame which burns to lighten the Gentiles with the glad tidings of salvation by Jesus Christ the Son of God, and by the Holy Spirit, through whom alone they can be satisfied."

3. rhiannon

rhiannon Member

England
    Religion:
    Anglican (HIgh)
    That's hard because I prefer the sermons preached by our priest because he will sometimes refer to what is happening locally per se. Like the other week he gave me a lifelong search answer and he gave me that based on what I been saying to him. He said it very generally in the sermon, but I knew he was helping me specifically though at the same time of anyone else who hears. Those are the great sermons because they are meaningful to me as they help me with my life specifically, not just generally. I've had a few lines throughout this year that he meant me to hear...and I have done.:) Those are the sermons I like the best becasue they are relevent to me and I find that typical guest speaker type sermons do explain things but there is nothing personal for you to hear because they don't know you like the parish priest knows you:)

Toma likes this.
  4. CatholicAnglican

CatholicAnglican Active Member

Canada
    Religion:
    Traditional Catholic
    Old Christendom and Toma like this.