Goodbye ACNA --> Hello TEC

Discussion in 'Navigating Through Church Life' started by Scottish Monk, Oct 21, 2012.

1. Scottish Monk

Scottish Monk Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian
    After six months attending a ACNA parish, I decided to return to my previous TEC parish. There are several reasons for the return, many of which I do not want to go into online at this time. Let me say, however, that my soul missed the total TEC experience. This morning the TEC rector welcomed me back. My soul is good.

If you left a TEC parish, I encourage you to go back and give it try. Whatever reasons you had for leaving TEC, there are more reasons to return.

...Scottish Monk

Lowly Layman and The Hackney Hub like this.
  2. The Hackney Hub

The Hackney Hub Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    The Episcopal Church
    Welcome back, brother!

Lowly Layman likes this.
  3. CatholicAnglican

CatholicAnglican Active Member

Canada
    Religion:
    Traditional Catholic
    I guess KJS and Apostasy are great reasons to go back to TEC?

4. Celtic1

Celtic1 Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Celtic Christian
    IF that were true, the question is, would those reasons be more crucial to the faith than the reasons for leaving?

If I lived in a diocese with an orthodox bishop, that would be good -- but if I knew that my orthodox bishop was in Eucharistic fellowship with apostate bishops and an apostate denomination, I don't see how I could be a part of that.

I just don't see how anyone can stay in a denomination which voted in favor of an actively homosexual bishop, and blessing of same-sex unions. I am seriously wanting to know how one's conscience allows a person to be in fellowship with such a denomination, if one is orthodox morally and ethically. Maybe I'm missing something here.

5. CatholicAnglican

Canada
    Religion:
    Traditional Catholic
    He might go back to ACNA yet, don't forget that it could be that the ACNA church where he is could be small, but there are many other good bible-believing ACNA churches out there.

6. CatholicAnglican

Canada
    Religion:
    Traditional Catholic
  7. The Hackney Hub

USA
    Religion:
    The Episcopal Church
    You both assume that ACNA doesn't have any problems. Also, ACNA is not part of the Anglican Communion, for those of us who are churchmen, this matters.

8. The Hackney Hub

USA
    Religion:
    The Episcopal Church
    Also, ACNA is doing quite well where Scottish Monk lives and has several large parishes.

9. CatholicAnglican

Canada
    Religion:
    Traditional Catholic
    You are correct about ACNA not being with Canterbury's Recognition, but the Anglican Network in Canada is because of our oversight of the Southern Cone, and Archbishop (Primate) Tito Zavala

10. The Hackney Hub

USA
    Religion:
    The Episcopal Church
    We are Anglicans not Chileans.

Toma likes this.
  11. Toma

Toma Well-Known Member Anglican

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Interesting point, Hackney. Being High-Churchmen in the original sense (not in the perverted liturgical-ritual sense) means that we have to stay with the Mother Church in her authority. Until ++-elect Welby formally brings ACNA into communion, what can we do as Anglicans but remain in obedience, despite pressure? This is not about us, our tastes, or opinions - but about the unity of the Body of Christ.

In Essay III, Francis Bacon said:

The fruits of unity (next unto the well pleasing of God, which is all in all) are two: the one, towards those that are without the church, the other, towards those that are within. For the former; it is certain, that heresies, and schisms, are of all others the greatest scandals; yea, more than corruption of manners. For as in the natural body, a wound, or solution of continuity, is worse than a corrupt humor; so in the spiritual. So that nothing, doth so much keep men out of the church, and drive men out of the church, as breach of unity. And therefore, whensoever it cometh to that pass, that one saith, Ecce in deserto, another saith, Ecce in penetralibus; that is, when some men seek Christ, in the conventicles of heretics, and others, in an outward face of a church, that voice had need continually to sound in men's ears, Nolite exire, - Go not out.

The Hackney Hub likes this.
  12. The Hackney Hub

USA
    Religion:
    The Episcopal Church
    Exactly, it is our duty to be faithful to our respective national Churches.

13. Celtic1

USA
    Religion:
    Celtic Christian
    I'm not assuming that at all. One thing I know is that it doesn't have an actively homosexual bishop -- it does not approve of that and so will not have one; it does not and will not approve of same-sex unions. It is staunchly pro-life.

Those are crucial issues. For a denomination to call homosexual behavior good and support abortion makes it apostate. I cannot be in fellowship with such.

MatthewOlson and Lowly Layman like this.
  14. Celtic1

USA
    Religion:
    Celtic Christian
    Even if they have departed from the faith?

It's more important to be faithful to the Gospel.

MatthewOlson and Lowly Layman like this.
  15. The Hackney Hub

USA
    Religion:
    The Episcopal Church
    So, you're a separatist, not an Anglican. Fair enough.

16. The Hackney Hub

USA
    Religion:
    The Episcopal Church
    Especially if some of the bishops have left the faith.

Regardless, my bishop hasn't departed from the faith.

17. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

Why does this matter? The Anglican Communion is a relatively new invention in Anglicanism. Besides, requireing the consent of a foreign bishop as the basis being authentically Anglican is oppositional to the clear teaching of the anglican Reformation and the 39 Articles. If I have to be beholden to the Archbishop of Canterbury because he hold the seat of the first English See, I might as well be beholden to the the Bishop that sent and established that See, which would mean I'd have to become Roman Catholic since St. Augustine's trip to England was financed and authorized by Pope Gregory the Great, and he came to teach the Romanist version of Christianity. This whole idea of being Anglican being contingent on the A of C recognizing you seems papist and untenable.

CatholicAnglican and Celtic1 like this.
  18. Lowly Layman

It is our duty to be faithful to God. Archbishops may think they are the head of the church, but there is but one head and chief cornestone and he does not occupy the seat of Canterbury, Rome, Constantinople, are any earthly throne. I am an American Anglican, my church did not get its episcopal legitimacy from England at all, but from Scotland. I owe no more allegience to the A of C or the C of E or the AC than I do to any other Christian authority or body, that is, so long, and insofar as they follow Holy Scripture and Holy Tradition, I will support them but there is no formulary , canon, or article that requires me to accept heresy or error to be an authentic Anglican and I resent implication.

19. Lowly Layman

Better a speratist than a heretic. Are you really endorsing that Anglicanism truly supports abortion and homosexuality? You and I have very, very different understandings of Anglicanism

20. The Hackney Hub

USA
    Religion:
    The Episcopal Church
    No, but I am endorsing that Anglicanism is loyalist.