Give not what is holy to dogs

Discussion in 'Navigating Through Church Life' started by Lowly Layman, Jan 1, 2017.

1. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

If I recall correctly, the reason guardrails were first installed in churches was specifically to keep dogs away from the sacrament.

2. Religious Fanatic

Religious Fanatic Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian
    This is nothing. With all the pet rituals occurring in the modern Episcopal church, I am sure they probably serve the whole wine and bread communion to goldfish more often than they give any of the bread to dogs. :laugh:

3. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
    Well, yes. It was only mankind that sinned, so presumably only mankind that needs the Eucharist. I wonder if the dog was confirmed. Would that put a different light on the matter. I mean a dog that can vocally or 'barkily', confess his allegiance to Christ and renounce Satan and all his works, would be a remarkable thing, but then a dog would not need to do that would it, not having 'sinned' original or otherwise.

Maybe such a remarkable dog would have the attitude needed to receive rightly. I rather doubt this one did though, even though it is ambiguously reported that "He bowed his head and said a little prayer". :laugh:

Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
  4. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
    I suppose she was implying that our natures come originally from God, and we are very 'sheep' like. Shepherds know how stupid their sheep can be, (so did Jesus, Jn.21:15-17.), so they don't punish them for being 'sheep', they make allowances and hope one day they will get wiser.