Giddings no confidence motion overturned...

Discussion in 'Anglican and Christian News' started by Scottish Knight, Jan 18, 2013.

1. Scottish Knight

Scottish Knight Well-Known Member

Scotland
    Religion:
    Christian
    Lay members of the Church of England's ruling synod have defeated an unprecedented motion of no confidence in their chairman, Philip Giddings.
    Dr Giddings, who chairs the general synod's House of Laity, had angered some supporters of women bishops.
    He spoke against the legislation allowing women bishops when it was defeated by the general synod in November.
    The House of Laity defeated the vote of no confidence by 80 votes to 47

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21082447

2. Toma

Toma Well-Known Member Anglican

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Scottish Knight! This is SOME OF the GREATEST news I've ever had in my entire life! You've made this a great day! :) Thank you!

Scottish Knight likes this.
  3. Stalwart

Stalwart Well-Known Member Anglican

America
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Such sweet news, I didn't know that the chair of the HoL was against female bishops, or that the libs tried to get a no-confidence vote against him.

Scottish Knight and Toma like this.
  4. Celtic1

Celtic1 Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Celtic Christian
    Yes, three cheers for keeping them uppity women in their place!

5. Toma

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Conservatives are not misogynists; it's called Principle.

6. Stalwart

America
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Three cheers for orthodox apostolic Christianity, no to atheism post-modernism and feminism that you seem to be so much in favor of.

7. Celtic1

USA
    Religion:
    Celtic Christian
    You continue to libel me. You will have to answer for it.

I have shown how conservatives had been in favor of women's ordination for a very long time, and yet you continue to post this drivel. To say that I hold to atheism because I favor women's ordination is about the lowest thing that anyone has ever said to me anywhere. You have no integrity.

8. Stalwart

America
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Not the Anglican conservatives, nor the Divines, nor the Apostles, nor Christ, nor God.

I didn't say THAT, I said that you're buying into a fundamentally atheistic philosophy, one that's not rooted in God or Christ or the Apostles or traditional Anglican Christianity.

9. Celtic1

USA
    Religion:
    Celtic Christian
    Oh, my, I humbly beg your pardon; how dare I contradict you since you know the mind of Christ and God. From now on, may I come to you as my mediator instead of going directly to God for answers?

As I have often said, I'm glad God is in charge and not some "Christians" I know.

10. Stalwart

America
    Religion:
    Anglican
    In other words, I can point to Christ ordaining men, I can point to God making men the spiritual heads of the human race (repeatedly and not just once), I can point to Paul that man is in the image of God but woman is in the image of man, I can point to only men appointed as bishops and presbyters in apostolic Christianity, I can point to Quakers ordaining women and Anglicans rejecting it while calling Quakers HERETICS -- I can point to all that and all you have in response is just empty feminist bluster. Sorry that won't be enough. You can't have our Church.

11. Celtic1

USA
    Religion:
    Celtic Christian

Point to scripture all you want; I welcome that. Refrain from misrepresenting and libeling me and other Christians who favor the ordination of women based on scripture.

I could stoop to your level and accuse you of bigotry, misogyny, and other things -- but I will not. I will not stoop to falsehoods and personal insults.

Lowly Layman likes this.
  12. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

I try to understand, but for the life of me, I just can't see why women can't be ordained. I've heard the argument about Adam and Eve. But Adam wasn't a priest. Eve spoke to god directly as did Adam prior to the fall, there was no need for anyone to represent God to anyone, since prior to sin there was direct access to Him. Ive heard the argument that Christ only ordained men, but he also only ordained Apostles. Deacons, priests and bishops came later, at the election of the Apostles. I've heard the argument that its not founded in the councils. But we in the West, at least, don't follow the concilliar regulations as they pertain to church practice but rather doctrines of the faith. I see nowhere in the scripture where it is contradictory. I just don't see it folks. And with all due respect, I just haven't read the convincing post yet.

Celtic1 likes this.
  13. Stalwart

America
    Religion:
    Anglican
    You did accuse us of misogyny and the rest of it. So you very much did "stoop down to our level". It is impossible for you to attack the orthodox Christian position without accusing its holders of misogyny, because if we're not misogynists, if it's merely the apostolic position of our Church then that's that, you have to leave it at that. But no, you have to go attack below the belt and hurl insults with which you hope to do some damage.

That's honorable, LL. My arguments don't extend to you. Honest discussion and wrestling with an issue are nothing if not respectable.

Pax_Christi, Lowly Layman and Toma like this.
  14. Scottish Knight

Scottish Knight Well-Known Member

Scotland
    Religion:
    Christian
    There are other threads where the issue of women bishops have been discussed. From the news reports and reading the chariman's speech, it seems a rather bullying tactic to call for a no confidence vote on him.

Here's a transcript of his speech for those who want to read it:
    http://churchofengland.org/media/1618774/hl(13)01b.pdf

I hope all sides will be pleased that he survived this :)

Pax_Christi and Toma like this.
  15. mark1

mark1 Active Member

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Let's be really clear. It is like this that have caused the rupture in the communion. Of course, you are free to call our female priests and those who support women's ordination atheists if you wish. In any case, your statements make your postion very clear.

[[/quote]

16. Toma

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Conservatives wouldn't have to point out the blatant atheistic motivations if they had not been injected into the Anglican bloodstream by the cultural revolutions of the last 50 years. It is not the conserving party tearing anything apart - we're just holding to normative standards. Novelty causes rupture, so it is ontologically impossible to for traditionalists to seek rupture.

17. Celtic1

USA
    Religion:
    Celtic Christian
    Women's ordination is not a conservative-liberal issue.

18. Toma

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    If by 'conservative' you mean 'Christians inspired to form their own churches after the Wesleyan schism', then we're not even using the same vocabulary! Among Anglicans - whose faith & discipline stretch back to beyond the petty Protestant Schisms of the last 200 years - this is certainly a conservative-liberal split. We're not anabaptists, or fundamentalists, or presbyterians, but ancient catholic Christians. We have to get our terms and definitions right.

19. anglican74

anglican74 Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    Hear hear!

It most certainly is.

20. Celtic1

USA
    Religion:
    Celtic Christian
    Yes, we have to get our terms "right". The Methodists were not schismatic; they were forced out due to the rigidity of the CoE bishops.

And tell me, was the Anglican schism from Rome "petty?

Scottish Knight likes this.